View Single Post
Unread 11-30-2010, 12:32 AM   #9
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
Although many of our laws support the Constitution, many were once based on Old English "common" Law, much of which was based on religious principles at the time.
For better or for worse, they've changed over time.
Also, the constitution is a living, changing document.
Actually all of our laws are SUPPOSED to support and be authorized by the US Constitution. Otherwise they are UNCONSTITUTIONAL, and therefore invalid.

I guess it depends on what you mean by "living, changing document". In order to CHANGE the US Constitution, there are specific measures written into it in order to do so which are the ONLY valid and legal means of change.

And they are:
  1. First Method -- Amendment is proposed by Congress by a two-thirds vote in both houses, then ratified by three-fourths of the State legislatures (38 of 50)(27 adopted).
  2. Second Method -- Amendment is proposed by Congress by a two-thirds vote in both houses, then ratified by special conventions in three-fourths of the States (38 of 50)(Only repeal of prohibition, i.e., 21st Amendment adopted in this fashion).
  3. Third Method -- Amendment is proposed at a national convention when requested by two-thirds of the State legislatures (34 of 50), then ratified by three-fourths of the State legislatures (38 of 50).
  4. Fourth Method -- Amendment is proposed at a national convention called by Congress when requested by two-thirds of the State legislatures (34 of 50), then ratified by special conventions held in three-fourths of the States (38 of 50).

The Constitution does not change it's meaning because interpretations of terms change over time. Especially when it is the government itself doing the interpretting to suit it's own goals. Whatever the Constitution meant when it was written is how it should be interpreted today. Which basically means that the ORIGINAL LETTER and INTENT of the Constitution are what bills written by congress need to use as the guiding principles to determine if they qualify to become LAW.

Heck, I can STILL remember in grade school my teacher telling the class that the Second Amendment was written only to protect the settlers from indians and was now considered to be obsolete. With that sort of crap coming from the educational system, no darn wonder so many people have no earthly idea what the Constitution is REALLY about.