Unread 04-26-2019, 04:07 PM   #2308
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
My intention is to have all of the following replaced:
  • Pilot bearing (bearing this time, NOT bushing)
  • Flywheel
  • Clutch assembly
  • Throwout bearing/slave cylinder
  • Torque tube input shaft
  • Both torque tube bearings

The drivetrain is already out of the car, so no sense half stepping now.

I have been conversing with RPM Transmissions and the guy I have been talking with recommended that based on what he sees in the pressure plate and flywheel, that I NOT use an organic based clutch disk. I had been planning on using a McLeod RST clutch, but I will have to now consider using the RXT instead. He said he would not recommend the Centerforce clutch at all.
Well, I have parts ordered and when they all show up, the install will take place and hopefully the drive train issues will be behind me.

I ordered the Monster LT1-S triple disk clutch. https://www.tickperformance.com/mons...city-1150rwtq/

Ordered the above from Tick Performance along with the spacers for the slave cylinder/throwout bearing in case they might be needed. https://www.tickperformance.com/tick...im-kit-3-pack/

Also ordered a new torque tube input shaft from RPM Transmissions and they will be pressing the front TT bearing onto this shaft for me.

The clutch assembly will be coming with the pilot bearing and slave cylinder/throwout bearing included. I believe this is a ZR1 throwout bearing, since it is shorter than what comes as stock in the Z06 and is needed to make room for the thicker 3 disk clutch system. But it is an aftermarket "Billet Howe" slave, not a stock GM unit.

The throwout bearing coming in the clutch kit might have the longer remote bleeder attached to it, but I'm not certain about that. In any event, I already have one I purchased separately from Tick Performance a while back in preparation to this job. Just seems like a good idea to be able to exchange and bleed the clutch fluid every now and again.

The front bearing in the torque tube actually appears to be fine, with no noticeable end play or runout, and the torque tube input shaft end that rides in the pilot bearing actually cleaned up nicely, and measures within GM specs, but I just feel better replacing them both. With the input shaft apparently bouncing around in the pilot bearing the last few years, I would rather not chance putting it all back together again to find out that the front bearing was damaged in such a way that it only shows up under load. Like making a squealing noise when taking off from a dead stop and letting out the clutch pedal.

I didn't see any reason to replace the two rear torque tube bearings (yes, there are two), since it was unlikely they got damaged in any way, and they are actually a pain in the butt to change out. The rubber couplings on the drive shaft should be fine, as they have less than 7,000 miles on them from when they were replaced back in 2012.

Also of note, one of the gaskets on the rocker arm covers was broken with a noticeable gap in it. So I ordered a new set of gaskets as well. Odd that I really didn't notice any oil leaks around the rocker arm covers, though.

Evidently Monster builds these triple disk clutches when ordered, so the guesstimate is for 7 to 10 days to build and test the unit before it is shipped out.

I checked into that Monster clutch extensively, and found the reviews for it were generally all very positive. There was an incidence of someone not checking the gap between the throwout bearing and the fingers of the clutch, which resulted in him having to take it apart again to put a shim in place to make the gap correct, but beyond that, nothing of note. Monster STRONGLY recommends reading the install instructions and following it closely. They stress marking everything before taking it apart for the install, and under no circumstances separating the topmost section which contains the pressure plate, top clutch disk, and the first plate that contacts the second clutch disk. Must be something special done during the manufacture of the clutch that would be a problem to deal with in the field.

Yeah, it's more money than I wanted to spend on a clutch, but it is what seems like the best option for my car, all things considered. But time will tell, I guess.

So with any luck by next month the drivetrain issue I have been having for years will be over with.