View Single Post
Unread 04-19-2010, 09:02 AM   #7
navy2kcoupe
!ereH nI depparT m'I pleH

Location: 25 miles south of Boston, MA. Also have a house in Dunedin FL.
Name : Andy Anderson
navy2kcoupe has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pres712 View Post
I understand where y'all are coming from but having been in sales for over 40 years I have that "drive" to close the sale! It carries over in my Corvette venue also. Somebody somewhere once said, "if you don't set out to win, why enter?" I am of that mind-set. Of course I love being around my friends and the settings but I want to win! But that's OK, Star doesn't get it either.............
Yeah............BUT.............a "win" for you isn't the same as a "win" for me. I never expect to get a trophy. I'm the proud owner of just 1 of a couple hundred thousand C5's built, and I know that there are others out there that are "better" than mine and are more qualified to get a trophy. My "win" comes in driving (or caravaning) to the show site, seeing all of the great cars that have been entered, and renewing acquaintences with people that I probably haven't seen since the same show the previous year. I check out who's done what to their car since the last time, who has gotten a newer car to replace the old one, who has added another car to the stable, and take the opportunity to sit down with friends and enjoy some of the local cuisine. It's like "family reunion time" except that different members of the "family" show up at different events. Then I get to drive that great non-winning Vette back home with a smile on my face. I bought a Vette to drive, and not a show car, so I don't enter these events expecting to win. Hell, ask anyone, they'll tell you that if I ever won a trophy I would be asking where the mistake was made and who REALLY won the trophy. You, on the other hand, feel as though your Vette is in a condition to compete in events and win, so your "win" runs along those lines. Two different philosophies, and both are correct for the given circumstances. It seems like there is a fine line that you have to walk to make your car stand out without making it appear "gaudy" or "over the top", and since the judging is done by people (and is subjective) the fine line has a natural tendency to move according to the person doing the judging. One judge's "this is a great looking car" might be another's "way too much for me". OK time to step down off of the soap box. Enjoy your Vette (s), and eventually the trophies will come.
Andy
VIETNAM VETERANS CORVETTE CLUB - FOUNDING MEMBER #1
https://sites.google.com/site/vietna...scorvetteclub/
navy2kcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote