View Single Post
Unread 01-01-2011, 11:54 PM   #6
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob K View Post
I have also been behind cars and it was obvious the driver was impaired and I don't hesitate to call 911 on the cell. I have no way of knowing if they're drunk, sick or just tired but they need to be stopped. The last one was on a two lane road and they were all over the place. The car swerved just in time to miss a bridge abutment and I really think the person would have been killed if they hit it.
Heck, I've seen idiots TEXTING on their cell phones while driving and they were all over the damned road. Either there is an awful lot of mid day drunk-ons around here, or it is merely the incidence of cell phone distractions while driving has greatly increased. I have been behind cars where it was obvious the driver was searching around for their cell phone, even trying to look under the PASSENGER seat while driving down the road! I could PLAINLY see this through the back window of the vehicles. Matter of fact, I would have to say that drivers impaired by using their cell phones while driving are just as much of a danger, if not more so, than drivers impaired by consuming alcohol, simply because of the greater prevalence of this problem. The later is dangerous because alcohol impairs judgement and concentration. The former is dangerous because cell phones impair attention and concentration (as well as judgement, in that only a damned fool would do stunts like mentioned above searching for their cell phone).

And you have NO idea how much it tweaks my butt to have to think that it would be highly hypocritical of me to say on one hand that drivers shouldn't be pulled from their cars and FORCED to have blood tests undertaken alongside the road for the sake of safety, but then on the other hand to make a statement that using cell phones in a moving automobile should be banned for safety reasons.... But I sure can THINK it...