View Single Post
Unread 01-12-2012, 03:23 PM   #1298
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorvetteJohn View Post
I know you have a replacement shaft but I could not help but notice you were beating on the end of the threaded shaft to get the hub off. On the other side and any other places were you have to drive a threaded shaft out it is helpful to put the nut on the end and beat on it. You would be very disappointed if you had to reuse the shaft only to find out you had mushroomed the threads and the nut would not go back on. Believe it or not what you are doing right now is very interesting and makes this project all the more interesting to me because of the careful and workman like approach you are using to sanitize this build. Can't wait for it all to come together and I think the next time you turn the key it will be a much different car with a lot of the problems mysteriously disappearing.
Oh, I knew from the start I was going to be replacing the shaft, so I wasn't at all worried about damaging the threads. I just didn't want to mushroom it so much that it would no longer fit through the hole in the hub, though. The shaft was going to come out and be discarded no matter what else had to come out in order to get to it. Had the shaft not come out of that hub, then I would have had to buy a new knuckle, which I was already in the process of locating, just in case. I had the new shafts laying on the floor waiting to be installed before I even started whacking on the old one.

The hubs are supposed to show up tomorrow, and luckily I have the T-55 socket I need for the bolts holding the hub to the knuckle. Unfortunately, however, I don't have the 21mm box wrench I need to get the lower ball joint stud out of the way of that lower bolt.

It's just very disappointing to me that I have to do all the stuff I have been forced to do lately because Aaron neglected to have this car in the shape he indicated that it was when I picked it up from him. But I guess I should have known better when we got home and Connie picked up the phone to call Aaron to let him know we had gotten home safely. I didn't realize it at the time, but Aaron had asked Connie to call him when we got home, because he was worried about us getting it back here. That just struck me as odd for a car that he said he would have no qualms whatsoever about driving out to California. But a short trip from Thomasville, GA to Crawfordville, FL he was worried about?