View Single Post
Unread 10-17-2012, 11:44 AM   #2
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

There are a number of paint rock chip repair kits available (Dr. ColorChip, Langka, etc.), and browsing the reviews will get you some people who swear by them, and others who swear at them. I have bought some of the stuff for my blue C5Z to try to get some experience myself working with repairing that sort of stuff, but haven't tackled it yet with all the other higher priority issues that keep coming up.

And to be honest, because of the cracked paint on the hood I'm going to have to get the car repainted anyway. So this will be really just to have experience under my belt when I want to tackle a rock chip on one of the other cars that I'm hoping won't be needing repainting any time soon.

Honestly, I don't think you can expect a *perfect* repair. Meaning something that would pass with a super critical eye at a close inspection. But I think they will be able to pass a "6 feet away" viewing. Particularly if you aren't dealing with one of the metallic paints. I'm thinking that most of my rock chips are likely just in the clear coat, so I may be able to just touch up with clear paint and then do some wet sanding to smooth it out. But heck, I've never done this before, so this is just going to be an experiment and some OJT for me.

Sorry, not much help, I'm sure....