View Single Post
Unread 11-30-2019, 12:52 PM   #2363
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Yesterday I found that the clamps on the airbridge were loose, so I tightened them all down. Then when I looked at the hose clamps at the inlets to the intercooler, I saw this for the one on the passenger side:

Not only was it situated in such a way that the end of the threaded shaft was jammed against the radiator (and likely would eventually wear a hole in it from vibration), it was pretty much impossible to get a socket or wrench on that nut. I was afraid that the radiator would have to come out in order to correct that problem, but I was able to loosen up the pipe enough, and nudge the radiator over a bit to the left enough to get a Gearwrench 11m box wrench on the nut and tediously loosen up the nut enough so that I could move the clamp around to a better position.

Then looking around more, I spotted this:

The left front nut holding the engine cradle up to the frame was completely loose. So far everything else I checked was tight, so it seems like many of the clamps related to the turbo system were loose. I sure do hope the bolts holding the bell housing to the block are nice and tight. When the car came back from South Georgia Corvette, not only were they loose, but a couple of them were missing entirely. Which apparently contributed to the destruction of my clutch system back then. So I certainly didn't want to go through that again.

Got the oil and filter changed. Decided to go with Amsoil 5w30 this time. But honestly I am strongly considering going back to Royal Purple. Been using the Joe Gibbs LS30 oil the last several oil changes, but honestly, there probably isn't all that much difference between any of them. But with having turbos, I think they are a bit more critical concerning the composition of the oil than the more modern engines. If the modern oils are not suitable for engines with flat tappets, that gets me to thinking that the journal bearings in those high revving turbos might be an issue too. The problem is that the more you read about oils and lubricants, the more confused you get about what is actually *THE best* to use.