View Single Post
Unread 02-18-2011, 07:25 AM   #14
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06 Rocket View Post
The problem with that is the list can go on and on with all the people that could be added to it. That is one reason I don't like to write tickets, and my boss doesn't want us issuing a ton of them either. He is very progressive and doesn't want to "tax" the public to cover up debt shortfalls in the budget. HE prefers documented written warnings unless the offense becomes repeat or aggravated. I would say State Attorneys are possible, the defense attorneys no. Medical EMS / ER Room etc deal with alot and get breaks, along with the doctors we may come into contact with while on the table... (smirk)
I was going to comment, but thought I'd wait.
Rocket said it well.

The list is subjective, based upon violation, location, witnesses and the officers personal opinions.

Back when I was "on the job", defense attorneys were like trophies, especially traffic guys
Hell, if I could figure out how to legally mount them on the wall.....

Later in life, I've made a living off of them

As I get older, deal with them longer (now shifting more to the civil side), I'm looking for space on the wall again

Bob, you mentioned process servers.

That's something I do now, and although in the majority of the cases, servers are appointed by either the Chief Judge in the county or the Sheriff, we don't work "for" them.

Actually in most counties except Pinellas, we're thier competition (Pinellas stopped serving non-enforceable writs in July last year).

When I'm working, per statute, I carry the same "authority" as a Deputy Sheriff, in that it's illegal to obstruct or oppose me in the performance of my duty.

Do so and you may see jail (we've done this twice this last year, both times in Pinellas County-thier deputies can actually read and abide by the statutes!)

That said, I have no other "authority" under statute.
The reason I mention this is, there's no "brotherhood" there.
Most process servers have never been LEO's, and there are more than a few of them that have a severe Walter Mitty relationship with reality

There's little I can think of in our world, that's so severe, so immediate, that we need to respond like Adam-freakin'-12 to get it done.
Of course, the attorneys seem to think that's not the case, and thier ineptitude in many cases leads to major time crunches, which we/I have to attempt to correct on my end

Do I drive fast?
Sure, on occasion.
It depends on where and why?

I've had a few situations, in child custody matter, where time really was critical, to get a child intoa safe location, or back where they belong, and such.

And there have been some other situation where what we do is more critical. But by and large, most of it, is just paperwork and whether it gets done today, or tomorrow, it'll be just fine.

If the attorney has allowed something to sit, and is now in a statute related time crunch, yeah, we're going to do what has to be done to get it done!
To pull thier asses out of the fire, but I'm not going to kill myself or someone else over it!

So back to the question.....No, a process server is probably not going to get any "special dispensation" from law enforcement due to the "brotherhood."

They "may" at thier discretion, cut you some slack.
Especially if you can make your case (quickly) as to why it's so critical that you had to drive like a freaking fool to get there

The majority I've met in a citizen/officer capacity have been pretty cool.
I've had the occasional douchbag, but you'll find that anywhere

And if you're former LEO, remember.
Although it's NOT ACCEPTED EVERYWHERE, Badge Americard....never leave home without it.

You all be careful out there.......

Remember:
Artificial Intelligence is no replacement for Natural Stupidity!

Be Polite, Be Professional...and have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote