View Single Post
Unread 09-16-2017, 02:43 AM   #8
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

I think that a lot of the nausea associated with VR is the disconnect between the motions you initiate and the slight delay before you SEE the motion take place. I guess the brain doesn't know how to cope with that and just decides that something is wrong. So likely the best way for the brain to deal with a body that is not responding correctly in relation to what the brain is telling it to do is to try to force it to slow down or even shut down. So it makes you feel dizzy. Disorient the brain enough and it can even cause you to tip over and pass out. Full shut down.

I have yet to experience nausea or dizziness using VR here at home because I've got a PC that is beefy enough to keep lag from taking place. Except in cases where nausea is a natural result of something that in real life would make me feel that way regardless. Like zipping along in a roller coaster ride or being someplace at dizzying (literally) heights.

And I think it helps to FORCE yourself to be immersed in the environment that VR is putting you. You have to forget that you are not really there, and that your body is really at the place you see, and doing what you see it doing.

One of the interesting side effects of VR is that people sometimes get disoriented about what is real and what is not. I would imagine that the better the rendition of alternate reality becomes with advances in technology, the more difficult it may become for people to pull themselves out of a world that they find much more interesting and pleasing than the dull reality they are really living in. Imagine being in a generated reality that you are basically as powerful as a god and can do pretty much anything and everything you wish to do. Would you really want to return from that to go to your job flipping burgers at Burger King? I'm sure this will be a BIG problem with impressionable minds. If you have never seen the movie called "Avatar", this really shows what I am talking about and where VR could be headed. Except the VR "reality" would all be manufactured and in such detail that you could not tell it wasn't real.

Heck, some 2D games I play can be extremely immersive as it is, without even being virtual as a perceived reality. Perspectives and interactions with the programmed environment can be REALLY good and basically suck you in to where you can experience things such as the fear of falling, or react to what would be the physical G-force pulls of driving recklessly.