View Single Post
Unread 03-08-2018, 01:40 PM   #54
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

One of the weather forecast sites I monitor is calling for a low of 33 degrees tonight. Aarrghh... Which might mean frost here. Hope it's not like last year around this time when a cold snap killed off a lot of our fruit tree blooms. The peach trees are already developing fruit, so they could be history. Just like what happened to most of them last year.

I've heard that there used to be a lot of farms in this area many years ago. I guess this sort of thing, coupled with the normally dry springs here, eventually killed off that idea for the farmers. I've heard that our land used to be farmland, and the stream we have on the north end used to have crystal clear water in it. But the farming was abandoned and when the forest reclaimed the land, the tannin from the tree roots plus all the consequent plant debris changed all that.

Connie and I have been clearing back sections of our property with the idea of putting in more fruit trees, but heck, I dunno. We're getting to the point in age where covering a bunch of plants during the several cold winter nights we get is really not going to be feasible for much longer.