View Single Post
Unread 02-06-2012, 07:24 PM   #1343
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Yeah, I've seen pictures of that mesh filter in the tank, so thankfully that probably caught much of the coarser stuff floating around in the gasoline. But I still think I need another fuel filter coming out of the pump. Is a 10 micron TOO small? I've seen all kinds of ones available. I understand that the smaller the mesh the more crap it will filter out, but the drawback is that it will get clogged faster and need more maintenance. Does anyone know how large the openings are in the fuel injectors themselves? I guess the point of this is to keep from clogging the fuel injectors, so that should be the target I need to shoot for. If the injectors are, say, 50 microns, then it doesn't make much sense to try to filter out anything much smaller than that if they will pass through the injector without clogging anyway.

BTW, I was looking over the fuel rail plumbing, and I'm not all the crazy about it. The AN-08 fuel line goes into the back of the passenger side rail, and at the front of that rail becomes an AN-06 line that crosses over to the front of the driver side fuel rail. At that point there is a T junction that has one leg going into the fuel rail, and the other leg going (via an AN-06 line) to the fuel pressure regulator. What worries me is that the driver side fuel rail is a dead end with a plug on the back end of it. I checked, and there just is not enough clearance to put a hose fitting there (not unless I can find one that is no more than 1 inch from the end of the fuel rail to clear the firewall). So I'm thinking that perhaps I need to replace that AN-06 stuff with AN-08 so there will just be more fuel flow to that driver side rail as well as to the regulator. I guess the reason this concerns me is because I've read so many accounts of that #7 cylinder running lean and sometimes breaking pistons. With it being at the far end of that deadend fuel street, I guess I don't want to run the risk of that cylinder getting starved for fuel at any point because it's the last man in line to be served.

Or am I just being a worry wart now? I guess I just don't trust that ANYTHING was done right on my car at this point...