View Single Post
Unread 06-08-2019, 03:07 PM   #2328
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Well damn... I got in 20 ft. of the 3mm o-ring cord I ordered off of Ebay the other day, but when I measured it, it turned out to be 2.8mm instead. So I contacted the seller and after comparing measurements, he admitted that he had some mislabeled cord that was sent to me. So he shipped me out more of it that he said he measured himself. Got that in today, and guess what? Yep, 2.8mm. Yeah, I know what you might be thinking. "Rich, maybe you are using some cheap Harbor Freight calipers that are measuring inaccurately." Nope. These are Mitutoyo calipers I am using, not the cheap non-name brands.

Now coincidentally enough, I got in more of the o-ring cord that I had ordered earlier directly from China. I decided to order from two different source for some reason, but perhaps that was my "Murphy's Law defense psychic warning system" kicking in. I measured this cord and yep, exactly 3.0mm in diameter. So it is not my caliper that is the problem.

There is still another wrinkle, however. I asked the tech where my car is located to measure the milled groove in the valve covers and he came up with 3mm deep and 3mm wide. Eh? If that is accurate, then I fail to see how 3mm diameter o-ring cord is going to work as an effective seal when the covers are bolted down to the heads. The o-ring will be merely reaching just the lip of the milled groove and likely won't work as any sort of seal at all, I would think. Unless there is some sort of magic going on there that I don't understand.

Why are sometimes the simplest things the most complicated trying to resolve? I just need valve cover seals/gaskets! This shouldn't have to be rocket science!!!