View Single Post
Unread 08-19-2017, 06:57 PM   #4
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Using my Nikon P900 on the Skywatcher Allview motorized head and tripod. I've got two dark filters I wanted to experiment with to see which one I want to try for the solar eclipse on 08-21-2017. Weather permitting, of course. This time of year, afternoon thunderstorms and showers are a pretty common event here in north Florida. So deep cloud cover will pretty much kill this idea of even seeing the eclipse.

This setup is pretty stable when I only have to move the camera's position via the Allview platform. Movement if very smooth and controllable, even at high magnifications. However, touching the camera itself to adjust focus or zoom is another matter entirely. Unfortunately Nikon doesn't offer, as far as I know, and remote that can do these functions.

Anyway, note the prominent sunspots pointing right in our direction. That's all we would need is to have a humongous CME to knock us back into the stone age.

Still can't make up my mind which of the two filters I should use. And I will only have time and opportunity to use only one of the two.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTQjm1SjnOw

One good thing about trying this out now is that I figured out I really need to use the AC adapter for the camera. The battery in this thing doesn't last all that long, so I would certainly hate to have the battery go kaput right in the middle of the eclipse. As it is, I'm hoping the camera doesn't overheat with the strong August sunlight pouring right down that lens into the camera body. Unfortunately, I have no backup plan.