View Single Post
Unread 10-15-2012, 01:00 PM   #1887
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Damn.... I've been asking around about that shaft play and it's about an even split as to people saying it is OK or being too much.

Apparently journal bearing turbo shafts will have more play than bearing shafts. That's because when the engine is running, 30 to 50 psi of oil is being forced between the journal bearings and the shaft which takes up the play. That sounds logical to me.

But if that opinion is wrong, then what? Well, apparently the problem with shaft play is that the turbine vanes could strike the housings and therefore pretty much destroy the turbo. I would imagine something like that would make one hell of a racket, likely even before the total destruction of the turbo took place.

Turbos Direct did get back to me and offered to have me send the turbos back to them so they could take a look. I don't know what turnaround time would be, but I'm guessing close to three weeks all total from the day I send them out till the day I get them back. And they might very well just say that there is nothing wrong with them.

As for the compressor housing seal, someone told me that unless there is a groove in the housing for a seal, then it isn't needed. Honestly, I would think that any time you have two machined metal surfaces mating together that are supposed to hold water or air pressure, you would quite likely need some sort of seal in place. Not unless the tolerances are held VERY tightly during the machining. In this case, an air leak at the compressor housing means boost is being wasted which could increase spool up time.

So far I haven't found any place just selling the compressor housing seal alone. Only found kits that will provide it with all the other parts for a rebuild.

I may just very well buy a kit just for the seal, get the Helicoil thread repair kit, and just fix the threads, put the seal in that turbo housing, and call it a day. If there is excessive play in the shaft, and damage results eventually, then it's time to buy new turbos.

These thoughts are subject to change without notice, btw............