View Single Post
Unread 09-07-2015, 03:31 AM   #3
gmjunkie
Corvette,GM Classic Freak

Name : I'm Not Post'n in BOI
gmjunkie is on a distinguished road
Default "Sourwood" Honey

Lily of the Valley (Sourwood) Nectar of the Gods!

The Sourwood tree (Oxydendrum Arboreum) is also called the Lily of the Valley tree or the Appalachian Lily tree, growing 40 to 60 feet tall with a diameter of 10-14 inches. The leaves are oblong, pointed at the apex and have a sour taste. Flowers are white bell-shaped and hang in clusters 5-8 inches long at the end of the branches. Sourwood is most abundant in the mountains of North Georgia,Western North Carolina and Eastern Tennessee. The Sourwood tree blooms in mid to late June through the month of July, during a period when few other flowers are blooming.
By the third week of June all spring honey is removed from my beehives. Drawn comb honey supers are added to ensure the Sourwood Honey produced is in its purist form. My bees are located in McDowell and Buncombe Counties NC (Edge of Pisgah National Forest / No commercial farming for miles!) which are rich in sourwood trees to ensure we produce only the finest Sourwood Honey in the USA!
Sourwood Honey is extremely aromatic with a distinctive rich honey flavor. In local markets it commands a premium price. When it comes to quality and taste, no other honey can match Sourwood Honey.
Attached Images