View Single Post
Unread 10-27-2006, 07:12 PM   #5
Gannet

Name :
Gannet is on a distinguished road

Hmmm, I see I didn't really answer the question in your original title.

First, if the idea is to get to the same power as a C6 Z06, then you need 100 crankshaft HP, or about 85 rear-wheel hp. Most guys on forums &tc quote their gains in rwhp because most of us can get our cars on chassis dynos, but very few of us have our engines pulled to run them on engine dynos.

If it were me (and it is, on my car, 'cause I'm in the same boat as you), I'd be inclined to do the CAI, headers, catback, cam, and dyno tune. If you choose a mild or moderate cam this may be a little under your 85 hp number, but not by much. If you're willing to put up with the driveability compormises of a more radical or "racier" cam, then it could be considerably more than that. Yes, for the expenditure of $5-6k you can have a car with a fair amount more power than a stock C6 Z06.

So why do this instead of heads? Because this way you leave your factory engine internals and gasket seal alone. In my experience on past cars, an unopened stock engine seems to last longer and cause less trouble than one that's been "messed with". Just a generalization. Let's face it, very few shops really have the right equipment to go inside your engine properly (clean room, etc.)

If you decide this much power is "enough", great, you're done, and you can easily return the engine to stock should you get tired of it or want to sell (keep all the parts!). If you want more, you're all set to get the most benefit out of a set of nice heads.

A lot of shops offer head/cam packages in part because many customers already have the exhaust and CAI done. If you're in that situation and you want a big step up in power, a H/C makes a lot of sense. But doing everything at once on a stock car is a lot of money (around $8k) and it's also a huge change in the amount of power. Maybe better to go a little slower and get used to it.

That's what I'm going to do, CAI and headers first (already have the catback), then come back and do a cam. Right now I'm just doing more research as to exactly what parts I want to use. Lots of options. I'm hoping to meet more local owners of modified Vettes and pick their brains as to what has worked/not worked for them.

Anyway, just IMO. Good luck!
BC3/Quicktime/DSS/Pfadt/Carbotech/Quantum/Muffler Mod/PS2 ZPs, Atomic Orange, Dark Titanium 3LZ, Q8A.
Gannet is offline   Reply With Quote