View Single Post
Unread 05-08-2006, 12:31 PM   #2
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by c5inparadise
I have an 04 A4, completely stock, except for GHL Bullets. I would like to add LG Streets, hi-flo cat, x-pipe, and Halltech air intake, but while researching other vette owners stories, who have installed the same if not similar set-up, 80% of them had issues regarding throwing codes, O2 sensors not working properly, tuning issues, etc... I realize these issues are fixable, but I'm wondering if it's worth the effort. I am not mechanically inclined so any fallout would need to be handled by a shop. I can see it now.....at the shop one week for one code then at the shop next week for another code. My questions are as follows:

1. Is it a given that I will have problems, like the ones I mentioned above, after the install?
No, not really. I've gotten a few codes thrown concerning the rear O2 sensors, but they are not really indicators of a destructive condition. It kind of means that they just aren't getting as hot as they should be and are just yelping a bit. But it doesn't mean anything is really "wrong". There are supposed to be ways to disable the error logging, but so far I haven't figured out how to do that with my new Predator handheld.

Quote:
2. Are there other common issues I could encounter?
Well, I had an alternator related problem which seems to have stemmed (possibly) from the tech not tightening down a grounding terminal for the alternator after the header install. But really has nothing much at all to do with the actual header install itself.

Quote:
3. If I do pull the trigger, what type of tune do I need? I've read about needing/not needing a dyno tune to a hand held tune.
I had the LGM Pro headers, cats, and X-pipe installed and I don't think I "needed" a tune at all. It felt just fine afterwards with a nice seat of the pants increase in go power. But many people say that there is more power left on the table that a custom tune can bring out. I think a handheld has the capability of doing this with a little learning curve and reiterative settings, but I'll know more about this later, I think.

Quote:
4. Lastly and most importantly, I would want the work done by the best shop that is in Florida. I'd even be willing to ship my car to LG in Texas, but I remember reading a horror story about tuning an A4 w/2:73 gears. I guess the person doing the tuning had the guys car in 2nd or 3rd and was tacked at 165! I don't know anything about tuning but I can' remember the last time I drove in second or third doing 165.
I had mine done at Champion Chevrolet up here in Tallahassee and am satisfied with the work. The tech there is competent. I would think there is someone closer to you then Texas that could do the job at a lesser total expense.

Certainly there should be other Corvette enthusiasts in your local area that you could get to recommend someone to you for the work.
Rich Z is offline   Reply With Quote