View Single Post
Unread 06-18-2016, 06:26 PM   #2245
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Got the new MSD stater installed.

I found out that this starter is slightly wider than the stock starter, so the passenger side header will no longer just slip in and out. I had to remove the mounting bolts to get the header back in.

I tested the starter before putting the header back in, and I think I like the sound of the MSD better than the stock starter. I torqued the nuts on the solenoid studs down to the specs I found. 11 ft/lbs for the large nut holding the hot wire from the battery, and 37 inch/lbs for the small terminal from the ignition switch. The install instructions from MSD didn't say anything about torque specs for the electrical stuff, but the mounting bolts they listed as 32 ft/lbs to torque them down. I also put nord-lock washers on them to keep them from coming loose anytime soon.

Found out that the exhaust flanges connecting the pipes to the catback pipe going over the axles were warped a bit, causing the gaskets to not seal properly. I took a file to them and looks like I've got them pretty much with a flush and flat surface. Hopefully I will only have to use one gasket instead of the three I have been having to use. Just have to make sure that the flanges going onto the back of the headers are covering the slots in the pipes completely to seal up all the exhaust leaks. Seems that every time I have to take off the exhaust it's a bitch getting the exhaust leaks eradicated.

Hopefully I'll have it all back together tomorrow. Then I can get back to trying to figure out where exactly that drive train noise is coming from.