View Single Post
Unread 12-22-2017, 08:07 PM   #10
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by navy2kcoupe View Post
WOW, more prop wash than I would have imagined.
Neat video.
Andy
Can't believe the stability of the platform! That gimbal really does
give the video a professional quality. Is there any way to turn off the
gimbal so we can see just how much it smooths the video out?
Jeez, you watched the WHOLE thing? I'm impressed!

As far as I can tell, there is no way to turn off the gimbal. But the video from my smaller drones probably gives a pretty good idea of what you could expect without a 3 axis gimbal. And it ain't pretty! Those drones really move around a lot, not only from their own steam, but by being buffeted by even modest winds. The smaller and lighter the drone, the worse it is.

It is actually kind of amazing that the cost of this drone is less than what just a decent 3 axis gimbal was going for when I first looked into this "flying video camera" stuff back in 2014. Practically no one was offering these gimbals in the drone products back then, at least nothing you could buy for less than about $2K. After playing with the small drones with any gimbal, I knew for a fact that I had no use trying to take decent video from any drone that didn't have this capability.

I went and found one of the videos I took with one of those little drones with NO gimbal capability at all. The video camera is just solidly fixed to the frame of the drone, so every little movement is transmitted directly into the resultant video. And without the GPS stabilization, I was constantly working the controls trying to even keep this little drone hovering where I wanted it to be. Believe me, it wore you out pretty quickly just fighting against the drone wanting to move where it wanted to go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4Oj9qOZfFw

World of difference, in my opinion.