View Single Post
Unread 05-14-2006, 02:12 PM   #5
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

I guess what I don't understand and would like to know is WHY is any backpressure beneficial? I would think that it is wasted energy produced by the combustion in the chambers. Some of that energy is being used to force out the exhaust gases rather then applying that energy to the rear wheels where it belongs.

So is it simply a matter of timing being set to accommodate this backpressure, meaning that with NO backpressure and adjusted timing you could regain that lost power?

So why the electric cutoffs I see some people have installed on their vehicles? And doesn't the new C6 Z06 have automatic muffler cutouts at WOT? Heck I can still remember from my days going to dragstrips those cars with just straight pipes coming from each cylinder's exhaust sticking up in the air and angled backwards with flames shooting out of them.

Something just does not compute about all that I see and hear. And yeah, I'm one of those kind of guys who just doesn't accept things just because most everyone else does.......
Rich Z is offline   Reply With Quote