View Single Post
Unread 04-26-2006, 01:39 PM   #13
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

I guess I just felt more comfortable with the Jet Hot coating to help reduce the heat. Heat just seems bad for most things. And here in Florida, we do get our share of just regular everyday heat.

Personally I don't think I would compare the longevity of a starter on a daily driver with the one in a race car. How many times a year will a car dedicated for racing actually use the starter compared to how you drive your car? And driving in traffic with the attendant heat build up will be a whole lot different from driving 175 miles per hour around a track, I would think. Heck, air flow alone would have quite a cooling effect. But creeping along at 15 miles per hour in rush hour will have a heck of a heat build up under the car. Especially in the dead of summer when the asphalt itself is probably hot enough to cook eggs on.

So will it really make a difference? Heck I really don't know. But I did know that this was a one shot deal for me. If I hadn't gotten the coating and wished I had later, there was NO WAY I was going to pull the headers off to have them sent off to be coated after the fact. So I felt that of the two possible mistakes I could make, getting them coated and not really needing it would have been the less painful of the two. If you know what I mean.......

I also looked at one of those tunnel plates, but it looked like there were a gazillion bolts holding it in. Probably would have cost me an additional hour or two of tech time just putting it in. At the time, I thought the cats were being coated as well, so I didn't think it would be worthwhile. Had I known the cats WOULDN'T be coated, well, I would have reconsidered it.

Putting the cats on would probably be best, I think. I don't think the ones with the system are THAT restrictive to make much of a difference. And I have heard some people didn't like the smell from the exhaust without the cats. Probably wouldn't matter to most of us, but who knows?
Rich Z is offline   Reply With Quote