Thread: Moving threads?
View Single Post
Unread 08-11-2008, 04:52 PM   #1
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough
Default Moving threads?

A while back I had an encounter with a member who got agitated because I moved a thread he had posted into what I felt was a more appropriate forum. I tend to do that fairly often, so I guess I want to find out if my doing so may be pissing off other people as well.

First off, here's my philosophy about why I do this maintenance function.

I've tried to keep the number of forums down to as few as I think are reasonable (yeah, I might be able to cut down a few more...), yet be able to cover all the bases concerning the likely topics people may want to discuss. This isn't only about POSTING messages, but also for those people later on in the lifetime of this site who may come here with the hopes of FINDING information possibly posted here. It is this later category that drives my compulsion to move threads to what appear to be more appropriate forums. If someone comes looking for info on a specific topic, I would think they would first view the available forums, and perhaps start their search within the forum or forums that seem most likely to contain what they are looking for. Sure, people can use the search function, but there are going to be MANY instances where that just will not produce satisfactory results.

Or maybe I'm just wasting my time, as most people really don't care either way..... I try to leave a redirect for a few days so anyone participating within the moved thread can easily find it where it was moved to.

Anyway, I've set up a poll so you all can let me know what you think about this moving threads business. Please let me know your thoughts on this issue.