View Single Post
Unread 04-24-2006, 12:33 PM   #4
exile

Name :
exile is on a distinguished road
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z
Hmm, this brings a question to mind. At what temperature does a thermostat CLOSE?

Yeah, I have always thought that a cooler engine is a better engine, but I'm not so sure that is true any longer. Seems like the incoming air and fuel should be cool, but that doesn't go for the bottom end of the motor.
Snake oil IMHO. The points you bring up in your first post are correct ie: once the thermostat opens as the engine approaches operating temperatures, it remains open an the cars operate at the temps. suggested by IVO. A thermostat that opens at a lower temp doesn't effect operating temps at all. And yes, these engines expand as they warm up and in doing so achieve the proper tolerances between piston, rings, cylinder walls, and etc. throughout the the motor. Until those tolerances are met, the moving parts have more play in them and you have a greater tendency for say, piston slap and such. I NEVER push my Z till the oil temp (which I almost constantly monitor) reached 190.
I think you're right, it's snake oil..........Tom