Thread: C5 Alternator problems
View Single Post
Unread 09-25-2018, 02:35 AM   #15
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

The alternator from Advance Auto got delivered today, so I went ahead and installed it. Easy enough to do. Not least of which was because I didn't have a clearance problem with the coil above cylinder #1 like I was worried about. It's REAL close, but it is OK.

Cranked it up and this alternator is putting out 14+ volts to the battery, so that should keep it charged up OK.

Of note is that the paperwork included with the alternator indicates that it is putting out 61 amps at idle engine speed. Not sure what exactly the engine rpm speed is for that figure, however. I believe the stock alternator puts out 110 amps, so this one at 145 amps should keep the electrical juices flowing sufficiently.

I actually thought I would be getting an alternator with a clutch pulley on it, but oh well. Pics showed it that way when I ordered it. But I guess Advance Auto isn't exactly on the ball. For instance I didn't get the tracking number email from them until a good 8 hours after it had already been delivered.

Also, while I was at it, I pulled out the fixed tension serpentine belt tensioner I put on several years ago. Put a stock spring loaded tensioner back in. I noticed that the serpentine belt tension with this spring loaded one is noticeably less than what the spec tension was for that fixed one at 25 ft./lbs at the tensioner wheel.

Guess this means a test drive is in order tomorrow or the next day.........