View Single Post
Unread 01-05-2020, 08:41 PM   #2375
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Well, my conversation with the service manager didn't go all that well. He seemed to be implying that the damage didn't happen there at the shop, and when I replied with the facts (as I saw them anyway) and my observations of the details I photographed, he interpreted this as being an attack on his employees. Yeah, maybe my saying I didn't want the detail guy there to EVER come within 10 ft of my car again, could seem that way, I guess. Seems that nearly every shop that does damage to my car wants to put the blame on me, my car, or both. I suppose other customers that get their cars damaged at shops just bite their tongue and stay bent over, thanking the shop for the "service". Sorry, not my style.

In any event, he says he will order the decals and send them to me, which I am interpreting that he is not offering to do the work to replace them there, and would just as soon not have my car back in his shop. Like it was my fault that the car was there for 9 months. Which I certainly hope too, since every time now I have brought my car back home from them, I find something new that is now broken. But if I find something else major wrong that they did, I will change my opinion on that. Bad enough that around 7 months of that 1 year warranty on that triple disk clutch got pissed away while it sat in that shop.

With that in mind, I found more things that weren't as they were when the car went into that shop.

First off, the firewall in the engine bay got damaged when the tech pulled the engine. Looks like the banjo fitting at the end of the fuel rail caught it. Hope that didn't get damaged and a fuel leak crops up sometime in the future.

Not sure why the tech decided to pull the engine to replace the clutch, but in hindsight, I sure do wish that he hadn't. Caused me several problems that I would have had otherwise.

Then not really anything damaged or broken, just that I don't think the way the turbo oil supply lines were put back together was done the best way that they could have been.

So I rearranged that a bit. Wasn't really comfortable with that AN fitting hanging down at an angle to maybe catch on something or get hit by something while driving.

Easy matter to just loosen up the AN fitting and turn everything to fit where it needed to be. Also replaced the sheet metal screws that Chris Harwood put in those clamps with bolts and nuts to hold everything more securely. I guess I could have dressed it up better, since Harwood put it this way to mount that God awful external fuel pump he put up there. But maybe one day I'll work on it to make it look more aesthetically pleasing.

Then on the oil return side, the junction block was tilted out from the rear cradle quite a bit, likely from that loose bolt holding the clamp to the rear cradle, so I loosened the other clamp and pushed the junction so that it was laying flatter against the rear cradle.

Tightened the clamps and it appears to be holding better.

But I'm thinking I may look into trying to put some sort of bracket to hold the junction solidly against the frame rather than what it is now. Maybe vibration will cause those joints to leak with that tension being on the top part like it is now. If that were to happen, the scavenge pump would stop sucking oil out of the turbos, then I have a mess with the oil blowing out the tailpipes and up into the intercooler. If this were to go on for long enough, my crankcase would get drained of oil eventually.

But in any case, the car is back home in the garage and hopefully will stay out of ANY shop for a long while.