View Single Post
Unread 03-02-2018, 06:33 AM   #8
CHASZ51
Z51

Name :
CHASZ51 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
Where did you see the snakes? Crossing the roads?

"Road cruising" is a very popular, and sometimes productive, method of snake hunting. The warm asphalt roads will retain the heat from the sun beating down on it all day long, and snakes will tend to crawl out onto the road for the warmth at night. Of course, there is always the luck of the draw of just being at the right place at the right time, too. Found my fair share of snakes on sandy roads over the years that just happened to be there.

Years ago a friend of mine and I went out to California for a snake hunting trip and found quite a few sidewinders at night on the desert roads out there. You would never see them during the day, but at night they were very common.
We just had dirt roads way back around the camp. I saw then around the camp.

The area is wet, and holds water when it rains a lot. Can't dig down since hard lime stone is at the surface. There are also holes in the ground that holds water and i have even seen gators in them. I am sure these holes are part of under ground caves. Have seen many very big Indigo snakes sunning them self in the winter.

I was sitting down one time hunting and had a very big Indigo just slide over my boot as if i was not even there.
CHASZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote