View Single Post
Unread 04-22-2006, 04:38 PM   #3
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Don't count on insurance too heavily. I personally know people who got their homes and businesses destroyed by hurricanes and they had to sue the insurance company they had in order to get the REAL value paid to them. And even then, it took months to almost a year before the check finally showed up. In the meantime, you are screwed.

Our home owner's premium with State Farm has skyrocketed lately. And it is all for the hurricane premium. Yet they won't allow us to just drop the hurricane part of it and only have the other coverage. That is what we really want to do. Our premium is something like $2,000 per year and there is a 5 percent deductible. Seriously we are thinking about dropping the coverage completely. We figure that over our lives so far, we have probably paid around $50,000 to that company and they keep on trying to dig deeper and deeper into our pockets. All the money we paid over the years SHOULD count for something.

Still, if my goal is to take as many of the irreplaceable items as possible with an impending hurricane, it still boils down to taking the other vehicles. I can replace the vette. Some other stuff I have could not be replaced or else would cost me MANY times what the vette would cost.

I would probably be driving the van, however. No WAY my wife is going to leave her truck!
Rich Z is offline   Reply With Quote