View Single Post
Unread 05-25-2006, 09:10 PM   #18
exile

Name :
exile is on a distinguished road

OK, I have stated this earlier but here goes again. Radar detectors work very well. There are some extreme circumstances where a cop can bag you before you know he's there, but as stated, it's rare. The radar used mostly in most areas is K/Ka band. The more sophisticated radars are too expensive for the cops to use extensively. So for me, 99 out of a hundred times I'm hit by radar it's from K band. My detector lets me know way ahead of time there's a cop up the road with radar. I check my speed, most of the time I'm good, but occasionally I'm a little over. When I'm feeling a little frisky with another vette or stang, if my radar detector is quiet, I have a little more liberty and am more apt to play.
You can still get caught. You can get caught with laser, instant-on, or just plain visual. But a radar detector is very liberating on the road. I've got so comfortable with mine I am uncomfortable without it, say when I'm driving the Jeep or someone else's car. Yes, there are false warnings, but you get used to the behavior of the detector after a while and know when the alarm is false. I mentally tune out false reading and the only time it bothers me is at a long stop light or if I have someone riding with me and we are talking. Then I turn it down or off. I know when a cop is approaching by the way the warning builds. Goes from a low reading and low audio warning and builds up rapidly. That's a police cruiser up ahead. What's my speed?
You can't go wrong with a good detector. It cost less than one speeding ticket and it can save your bacon many times over. It's a great gismo in my opinion and I won't be without one till I'm old and creeping along in my Cadillac. I don't know it's in the car till it's needed.......Tom