The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Maintenance, Mods, & Tips

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Maintenance, Mods, & Tips Mods | Tips | Repairs & Troubleshooting

Unread 06-22-2012, 12:57 AM   #1
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough
Default Engine oil

I have this thought run through my mind every now and again, it seems. But I was reading a FAQ page on the Valvoline website, and here's what they say:

[quote]
  1. What are the benefits to using a racing oil versus a regular "street legal" oil?
    The Valvoline VR1 Racing & "Not Street Legal" racing oils contain additional additives for increased horsepower and reduced friction on metal parts, provide extra wear protection for high compression/higher horsepower engines, and include fewer detergents than regular conventional motor oils.
  2. What is motor oil with zinc?
    The anti-wear additive simply referred to as zinc by most car enthusiasts is actually short for Zinc DialkylDithiophosphates or ZDDP. Its primary role is to prevent metal-to-metal contact between engine parts by forming a protective film. Despite being referred to as zinc, this additive actually contains zinc and phosphorus, with phosphorus performing the anti-wear function in the motor oil with zinc.
  3. Why is it important to have the zinc/phosphorus levels in motor oil changed?
    With ever increasing limits on emissions, automobile manufacturers have tightened emission control systems on newer vehicles. This is one of several factors considered when the American Petroleum Institute (API) sets standards for motor oil with zinc. The current API standard is SM which replaced the previous SL classification. Because phosphorus can poison a vehicle's emission system, the level of zinc is lower for current motor oil.
  4. What is the controversy surrounding the amount of zinc in motor oil?
    Many hands-on car enthusiasts and engine experts believe the lower levels of zinc in SM motor oil is causing excessive wear in older style push-rod and flat-tappet engines. This is despite the fact that all new motor oil classifications are intended to be backward compatible. This has resulted in the widely accepted belief that modern motor oil is not adequate to protect older engines.

There is more, but you get the drift....

http://www.valvoline.com/faqs/motor-oil/racing-oil/

So let me get this straight. ZDDP is an anti-wear additive to engine motor oils that helps prevent metal to metal contact on engine parts. However, because phosphorus and zinc can "poison" parts of the emission controls on cars, these elements have been reduced in engine oils.

So, longevity of engines has to take a back seat to the longevity of the emissions systems on these engines? I dunno why, but this just makes me not only nervous, but suspicious of the motives of the people foisting this upon us. Have there been any legitimately honest studies done on the effects of this reduction in ZDDP on modern engines? You know, the ones we NOW have in our cars? It's not just flat tappets on older model cars that have metal to metal contact. Heck all bearing surfaces need to be protected, don't they? Rings against the cylinder walls? And what about the high speed spinning surfaces of turbos? Don't they count?

Heck, auto manufacturers are only interested in keeping the engines alive long enough to last out the warranty period. After that they WANT you to buy a new car. And didn't the government run a program a while back trying to get older vehicles off of the streets? What was the motive behind that?

Sorry, but I guess I'm just naturally suspicious about this situation. Maybe nothing, but NONE of the people who rammed it down our throats are really our friends.....
Unread 06-22-2012, 08:44 AM   #2
Cor66Vette

Name :
Cor66Vette has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
Sorry, but I guess I'm just naturally suspicious about this situation. Maybe nothing, but NONE of the people who rammed it down our throats are really our friends.....
You should be anything but sorry! How 'bout absolutely 100% correct. Of course they want the cars to get replaced vs the emissions system. There's more $$$$$ there. Wasn't it the present administration who had the "cash-for-clunkers program? Combine this with the Ethanol in gasoline proportions being increased and you have a win-win situation... just not for us.
Cor66Vette is offline   Reply With Quote