The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Maintenance, Mods, & Tips

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Maintenance, Mods, & Tips Mods | Tips | Repairs & Troubleshooting

Unread 10-23-2006, 07:35 PM   #1
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough
Default ? about gauges...

When I had the STS twin turbos installed, I asked Greg to put in a set of gauges for me. One for boost and the other for fuel pressure. Now the boost gauge is a 0 to 35 lb one, but since the boost is only 6 lbs max and doesn't really kick in until about 3.5K rpm, the needle just basically sits there.

So I'm thinking maybe a Vacuum/Boost gauge might be a better one to have in it's place.

So how does the gauge mount in the post pillar? I think it just snaps in, but don't want to go prying on it. Then when looking through ads for boost gauges, there appear to be quite a bit of different ones to choose from. I think mine are 2 1/16th inch gauges, but not sure when I need to know if it is an electrical or a mechanical gauge. Yeah, I know I could call Greg and ask him, but what the heck. The keyboard is right here in front of me and I thought I would give you guys a chance to try to help me...
Unread 10-23-2006, 07:44 PM   #2
Nytro
Delta House Member

Name :
Nytro is on a distinguished road

Rich check this out, by Rocketsled

http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showt...light=lighting

www.adamspolishes.com

Authority forgets a dying king
Nytro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2006, 08:17 PM   #3
Rich Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nytro
Interesting... Greg hooked my gauges up, and they seem to work fine with the lighting, so I have no idea if he did anything special.

The article doesn't answer my questions, however..... Or did I over look it?

Thanks.
Unread 10-24-2006, 07:05 AM   #4
Nytro
Delta House Member

Name :
Nytro is on a distinguished road

It seems to me from what I have read most of the pods are pieces that fit over the original pillar and are held on by velcro. Having not seen your car I would look at the pillar around the vent and see if that is the case, that being a pod that is just fittted over the original pillar. If that is the case removal should be easy to see how the gauge is held in. Of course the most logical thing to do would be to call Greg.

www.adamspolishes.com

Authority forgets a dying king
Nytro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2006, 03:27 PM   #5
Rich Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nytro
It seems to me from what I have read most of the pods are pieces that fit over the original pillar and are held on by velcro. Having not seen your car I would look at the pillar around the vent and see if that is the case, that being a pod that is just fittted over the original pillar. If that is the case removal should be easy to see how the gauge is held in. Of course the most logical thing to do would be to call Greg.
Yeah, I know... He said he is doing another install this week and I just didn't want to bug him. But I have a couple of other things I need to talk to him about, so I guess that's what I have to do.
Unread 03-15-2007, 03:00 PM   #6
06c6corvette

Name :
06c6corvette has disabled reputation
Question boost guage install

I just recently had my Magna charger installed and asked about the install for the boost gauge and fuel pressure gauge mounting,on my C-6 they attach a gauge housing to the a pillar post it snaps in place and is held in place with double stick tape the bad on this is they have to cut a hole in your original a pillar trim fore the wire/vac hose to rout to the engine compartment :
since i did not want to cut holes in the a pillar i chose not to add the gauges besides its hard to watch the HUD and the boost at the same time.
06c6corvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2007, 04:58 PM   #7
Rich Z

Actually a boost only gauge is pretty useless, in my opinion. It really doesn't do a thing until your boost kicks in, which when you are running only 6.5 psi, is such a narrow window, you might as well just have an on/off light instead of a needle moving in a gauge. Since putting a vacuum/boost gauge in to replace that boost only one, it gives me a better idea of what is going on even when air pressure from the turbos isn't pushing into the positive boost zone.

Actually, I wish I had put in the vacuum/boost gauge before getting the turbos installed so I could compare the difference in how vacuum in the engine is affected in the lower RPM range of the engine. I have noticed that when I let off the throttle and the vacuum drops to 25, that's when I hear the popping from the exhaust.

Now, if I had it to do all over again, I probably wouldn't have a fuel pressure gauge in the pod. I can't say I stare at it all of the time, but I can't remember EVER seeing the needle move at all.
Unread 03-15-2007, 05:42 PM   #8
06c6corvette

Name :
06c6corvette has disabled reputation
Cool guages

Rich i think i will save my money on the guages and buy carbon fiber or CHROME instead. when the boost is there i get that kick in the pants feeling that no guage will give me Mike
06c6corvette is offline   Reply With Quote