• Got the Contributing Memberships stuff finally worked out and made up a thread as a sort of "How-To" to help people figure out how to participate. So if you need help figuring it out, here's the thread you need to take a look at -> http://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3581 Thank you, everyone! Rich Z.

exhaust question

yesterday i pulled up behind a c6z. had quad exhaust tips, but the inner 2 tips had flaps, like on the throttle body. the only thing i could think of is he was running a turbo setup and he could open and close the flaps to change the exhaust velocity, increasing the boost. ive never heard/seen anything like that so. what was it?

Morn'in :) , Yeah, the C6's all have those for what reason I don't know. I have read that owner's pull a fuse or flip a switch to inactivate them. Gives them better exhaust sound. One of the C6'ers will chime in with a better explanation in a while I'm sure .........Tom :coffee1:

The C-6 Z's have flaps that open automatically under WOT to produce a better exhaust sound. Not sure about actual hp gains, although freeing up the exhaust can't hurt.

A lot of C6Z owners have inatalled exhaust switches so we can open and close the exhaust butterflies whenever we want.:dancer01:

ZEEEE06 said:
A lot of C6Z owners have inatalled exhaust switches so we can open and close the exhaust butterflies whenever we want.:dancer01:

Your response begs the question...if they're butterflies now, did they used to be caterpillars?:D

seems to be a whole lot of stuff, for what? why bother w/ all of it. just leaving it open has worked for as long as i can remember, and probably longer then that.

ClockworkC5 said:
seems to be a whole lot of stuff, for what? why bother w/ all of it. just leaving it open has worked for as long as i can remember, and probably longer then that.
The reason behind the flaps is that you can drive around town with no drone and listen to the radio , untill you step on it, then it gets loud. I know they now make a switch to operate the flaps from inside the car as someone else said. Ever Z06 I have seen so far has pulled the fuse to keep the flaps open.

Flaps open at 3500 rpm in normal driving mode. Switch to comp mode and they open at 3000. If you set them up to be open all the time there is terrible droan in cabin at highway speeds. In my opinion its a great set up:thumbsup:

Back