• Got the Contributing Memberships stuff finally worked out and made up a thread as a sort of "How-To" to help people figure out how to participate. So if you need help figuring it out, here's the thread you need to take a look at -> http://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3581 Thank you, everyone! Rich Z.

Winter weather...

Rich Z

Internet Sanitation Engineer
Staff member
Forecast is calling for lows in the mid 20s here in north Florida for Tuesday and Wednesday night. Rats.... Guess we're going to have to cover some plants already.

It got down to 32 degrees last night and a dusting of light snow which has already melting .Of coarse I'm in Maine and should expect a little cold and snow .

I'm on a 5 year plan (used up 1 already) to move but I'd hate to move to Florida only to freeze my azz off .That said I'm looking hard at Key Largo $$$$$ and KissME $$.My goal was to semi retire as Dopey at Disney or a shark wrestler off the Keys .

Any place south of Sarasota should be O.K.

We're just north of Tampa and we get frost a couple of times each winter.

I was born in Pomona Park which is directly east of Gainsville and it was very rare to have a frost and had to protect the small Orange grove .I don't remember getting really uncomfortable in the summer either and we had no AC .Memory is a little foggy as I was shipped north when I was 3 months old .Grandfather was an active member of the KKK and didn't want me growing up in the south .

The family owned farms and groves in Homestead ,Pomona park and south of Sebring .The Grove south of Sebring was huge by 1950's standards and nothing but dirt roads and a house that looked like a place Dracula would hang out .

The last of the properties was sold off in the late 60's except the farm portion of Homestead which was donated to the State of Maine as a research facility .

I can almost say I'm one of the few Native Floridians :D

I think the closer you are to a fair sized body of water, the more moderate the overall temperatures will be.

I'm on a 5 year plan (used up 1 already) to move but I'd hate to move to Florida only to freeze my azz off .That said I'm looking hard at Key Largo $$$$$ and KissME $$.My goal was to semi retire as Dopey at Disney or a shark wrestler off the Keys .

I'd go with the shark wrestler. :yesnod: Too many "dopeys" in FL as it is. :eek:

I'd go with the shark wrestler. :yesnod: Too many "dopeys" in FL as it is. :eek:
I've spent a lot of time diving in the Keys but still haven't met a shark but I've been told that ya can grab 'em by the tail flip 'em on their backs rub the tummy and they purr like a cat .:shrug01::shrug01:

If you look long enough and hard enough, I guess you can always find someone willing to do even the dumbest things. I watch a lot of YouTube videos of truly stupid things being done, and I have to shake my head in amazement that not only was someone dumb enough to try that, but they were dumb enough to put it up on YouTube for the world to see.

Got news for you VB...................

I was born in Pomona Park which is directly east of Gainsville and it was very rare to have a frost and had to protect the small Orange grove .I don't remember getting really uncomfortable in the summer either and we had no AC .Memory is a little foggy as I was shipped north when I was 3 months old .Grandfather was an active member of the KKK and didn't want me growing up in the south .

The family owned farms and groves in Homestead ,Pomona park and south of Sebring .The Grove south of Sebring was huge by 1950's standards and nothing but dirt roads and a house that looked like a place Dracula would hang out .

The last of the properties was sold off in the late 60's except the farm portion of Homestead which was donated to the State of Maine as a research facility .

I can almost say I'm one of the few Native Floridians :D

Frostproof FL isn't frost-proof anymore!:thumbsup:

:D

Got down to 35 degrees here on Friday night. Now they are calling for a low of 23 degrees Tuesday night.

Connie and I have been putting away the irrigation sprinklers as they are plastic and will surely crack if there is any water in them to freeze. Hope the ripening citrus doesn't get damaged. Heck, hope we don't lose some of the TREES. Sudden cold snaps like this are pretty hard on plants. Most of the pear trees haven't even dropped their leaves yet.

They've ratcheted down the forecast low for Tuesday night to 20 to 21 degrees now. :ack2:

Maybe I just need to drive around more in the vehicles to try to kick that global warming thingie into high gear......

Man I hope we don't lose our Poncan tangerines. We've been waiting for them all year to ripen and they are still a couple weeks away from that point.

Actually, I'm thinking that since I really don't drive around all that much lately, I should just go over to the garage every day and open up the doors, and start up all the vehicles to try to make a contribution to that global warming stuff so it will actually kick into gear. As it is, I'm likely to freeze to death before the globe actually does get appreciably warmer....

Attachments

• 11-18-2014 forecast.jpg
    11-18-2014 forecast.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 87
Damn Rich,Thats colder than it's supposed to be here in the Mountains.
Heck my bees are flying here today at 55*:thumbsup:

Well the cold is gone, but it looks like all the rain we haven't been getting lately is going to be showing up over the next several days here. The storms are coming in from the south, so at least the rain isn't preceding a cold front.

Back