• Got the Contributing Memberships stuff finally worked out and made up a thread as a sort of "How-To" to help people figure out how to participate. So if you need help figuring it out, here's the thread you need to take a look at -> http://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3581 Thank you, everyone! Rich Z.

Possible hurricane development - 10-08-2018

155 mph at landfall! 2 mph shy of being a Cat 5! I left this morning and went to Lake City. Be safe my friends.

Hey Rich..........
You making out OK?????
Looks like it's a bad one......
Andy

Connie and I are OK. Power is out all over the place. Talquin Electric showing just 14% or so with power for all of their total subscribers. Not sure about Comcast's equipment, but I'm sure it is just as bad there.

As good a reason as any to take a break from the internet. :)

Hooked up the Toyhauler and headed east. We were going to stop in Madison but no one would rent us any space at the campgrounds there. We got fuel at the truck stop just before they closed and continued on to Lake City. It was a little gusty over there but nothing compared to what we left. The trip there and back was uneventful. The new truck pulled like a freight train and there was no cross wind effect even when passing 18 wheelers.View attachment 6571

Attachments

• Rest Area 1.jpg
    Rest Area 1.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 230
Looks pretty handy in situations like this.

Not sure when we will have power back. Talquin has an alert this morning that states:

Wakulla County:
• 90% of our accounts should be restored by Wednesday
• 98% of our accounts should be restored by Friday

Leon County:
• 90% of our accounts should be restored by Monday
• 98% of our accounts should be restored by Wednesday

Gadsden County:
• 90% of our accounts should be restored by Wednesday
• 98% of our accounts should be restored by Friday

Liberty County:
• Hosford area – 90% of our accounts should be restored by Wednesday; 98% of our accounts should be restored by Saturday, October 20
• Bristol area – we expect to make significant restoration progress to facilities that are able to receive service by Saturday, October 20
• South of the Bristol area – restoration south of the Bristol area is unknown at this time; we have not been able to access this area for assessments, yet

Furthermore, we expect to have power to all schools that can accept service in our four county service territory by the end of the day on Sunday.

So I guess that Leon County is getting the lion's share of their efforts.

Well, the generator worked like a champ. Ran for nearly 5 straight days. But it only runs the other buildings and not the house. It was bought for the SerpenCo business to keep the animals alive during an extended power outage. It kept the freezer from thawing out, so the food inside all stayed good. Plus is runs the water pump, so had we been home, it would have provided running water for us.

Connie and I bailed out on Tuesday and headed over to the east coast of Florida (Palm Coast). Just got back this afternoon, and power had just been restored this morning. Had a friend checking the place for us, and I told him that as long as the generator was running, then power was still out. So power was out for nearly 5 full days. We were coming back today, regardless. Staying in a motel like the Hampton Inn gets old after a while.

Just had some large branches at the top of a water oak tree (I think that is what it is) snap off and fall in front of the carport. I spent a couple of hours cutting up those branches and hauling them out of the driveway, so that is cleared now. Lots of debris everywhere shaken out of trees, of course. But no damage to any of the buildings anywhere that we have found yet. So we were lucky.

A cursory glance at the citrus trees shows they fared really well. I thought there would be loose fruits blown all over the yard.

Anyway, I highly recommend evacuating when things like this happen. It's pretty stressful worrying about losing your house, but it would be a WHOLE LOT more stressful if you are still in it while thinking that might happen.

Someone on one of my other sites posted the link to this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3ofAJSqpLM

That is Toucans in Mexico Beach. Connie and I have eaten there before. But looks like that won't happen again, as Michael appears to have just wiped it off of the map completely.

Well, the generator worked like a champ. Ran for nearly 5 straight days. But it only runs the other buildings and not the house. It was bought for the SerpenCo business to keep the animals alive during an extended power outage. It kept the freezer from thawing out, so the food inside all stayed good. Plus is runs the water pump, so had we been home, it would have provided running water for us.

Connie and I bailed out on Tuesday and headed over to the east coast of Florida (Palm Coast). Just got back this afternoon, and power had just been restored this morning. Had a friend checking the place for us, and I told him that as long as the generator was running, then power was still out. So power was out for nearly 5 full days. We were coming back today, regardless. Staying in a motel like the Hampton Inn gets old after a while.

Just had some large branches at the top of a water oak tree (I think that is what it is) snap off and fall in front of the carport. I spent a couple of hours cutting up those branches and hauling them out of the driveway, so that is cleared now. Lots of debris everywhere shaken out of trees, of course. But no damage to any of the buildings anywhere that we have found yet. So we were lucky.

A cursory glance at the citrus trees shows they fared really well. I thought there would be loose fruits blown all over the yard.

Anyway, I highly recommend evacuating when things like this happen. It's pretty stressful worrying about losing your house, but it would be a WHOLE LOT more stressful if you are still in it while thinking that might happen.

Someone on one of my other sites posted the link to this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3ofAJSqpLM

That is Toucans in Mexico Beach. Connie and I have eaten there before. But looks like that won't happen again, as Michael appears to have just wiped it off of the map completely.

Seems you were far enough west to miss the core winds. The strongest winds did not go far out from the center.

Seems you were far enough west to miss the core winds. The strongest winds did not go far out from the center.

Actually, we were east of the storm's center at landfall. Straight line distance from Crawfordville to Mexico Beach is about 65 miles.

Yeah, I'm not even in the least embarrassed that I decided to get out of Dodge on that one. I'm actually surprised that we didn't have more damage around here.

I actually took some video of Mexico Beach a while back. Have to find it and process it one of these days.

Back