The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > The Lobby > The Ranting Room

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

The Ranting Room Got a gripe about life? Want to sound off about the unfairness of the universe? Does something just REALLY piss you off? Well, come on in and talk about it!

Unread 06-15-2008, 08:32 AM   #91
Gannet

Name :
Gannet is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
Sorry but this is just bizarre to me. I have run forums for a long time, something like 12 years, and never in all that time have I ever had someone get so upset that I moved their thread from one forum to another that they took their ball and bat and went home because of it.
Huh? I'm not "that upset". I was mildly irritated. At this point it's history and I'm sorry I mentioned it. I tried to explain in the rest of that post some of the factors that make the site less of a priority for me. Intended as helpful suggestions, and maybe to provoke discussion.
Gannet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2008, 08:40 AM   #92
Gannet

Name :
Gannet is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychotic Avian View Post
Your post WOULD have had relevance and appeared more genunie if you didn't perform one of those Grandstanding Goodbye posts in the thread that was linked by the admin. The real reason you left this site was because your thread was moved. Your other content is mostly an attempt to belittle this site because you simply were offended by the actions that the admin took towards one of your threads. A pretty petty gripe if you ask me. Yeah, there is SOME helpful information in there, but there is a sense of evil in the "suggestions" if you ask me. The reason I say this is the timing and what it took to get you to post this information.
Spare me. Get over yourself, even. I didn't "leave the site", nor did I do any "grandstanding". I just haven't been around much lately. I'm here in this thread, trying to make the site work better, ain't I? If I didn't GAF, believe me, I wouldn't be here.

The only reason I showed up here yesterday is I wanted to share the pics I took of the cookout at AntiVenom. I had already posted them up at Teh Evil CorvetteForum but I knew a bunch of people HERE took their bat and went home from that place and hence likely wouldn't see them. Since those people are my FRIENDS I wanted to be sure they saw them. While I was here I was checking around, and since you drama queens had pushed this thread to the top page I happened to see it, and the rest is history.

I'll tell ya what, if this is the level of discourse here now, if this is the subject matter that really gets people posting, well, that's pretty sad.

Just FYI Psychotic: I may post here, or I may not, and I really, truly don't GAF what you think about it, or me.
Gannet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2008, 08:50 AM   #93
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychotic Avian View Post
Yeah, I thought that was very strange you took a f'ing bus down here to hop on a cruise ship. Considering the "discount" you received getting on that cheap garbage scowl I cannot understand why you didn't invest in a rental car. Cheap bastard.
Cheap bastard.

There's your answer right there

(oh, and the fact that I worked until 3 am the moring we left. Figured I'd let someone else do the driving andI'd sleep)
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2008, 09:02 AM   #94
Shadow

Name :

Quote:
Not only are those forums pretty much stagnant, for the most part, the offerings to the clubs themselves were basically snubbed without even the courtesy of some reply. But I tried it anyway.
At least you tried. It's been said that people only place value in what they pay for. I've offered free training over the years and only a handfull of people would show up. Put a dollar amount on it though and you pack the room

I've seen the same happen i other businesses? I guess "Free" simply can't be of any value?

Clubs I've found over the years are generally cliquish. Not all, but some, just will not interact with others.

Also, the leadership of a particular club will drive the club. If the leadership is prone to a particular site, then they'll place thier eggs in that basket.

Most of the larger forums have some sort of "General" or "Regional" club or events forum where you can look to find events and club activities.

The problem for me was I had to sift through tons of stuff that was maybe interesting, but of no value to me because of the distance.

And finally, I think most clubs would rather spend the $$ on thier own site so they're not necessarily "tied" to another site. If this site were to go down, someone get's banned (not likely) or closed, they'd lose thier or thier members access to the information.

I can certainly understand that concern if it were the only site they had. If it's just a link to thier site, then I don't understand the problem? Arrogance? Petty bickering? Other? I don't know?

I'd certianly think that the more you could get your clubs name in front of potential members, the better off you'd be? But since I'm not really active in a club at the moment, I probably have no idea.

Maybe a "GENERAL CLUB FORUM" such as Gannett suggests might actually benefit the site and it's members better? Give everyone someplace to look for club functions when nothing else is going on?

Either way, his suggestion is worth a thought IMO.
Unread 06-15-2008, 09:27 AM   #95
Shadow

Name :

Posted by Gannet:...
Quote:
I just haven't been around much lately. I'm here in this thread, trying to make the site work better, ain't I? If I didn't GAF, believe me, I wouldn't be here.
It was great seeing you yesterday and thanks for taking all the pics.
And thanks for posting them here as well

Quote:
took their bat and went home from that place
Actually, I was handed my bat and asked to leave

And thanks for the suggestions I think some of them have merit. I'm no website guru. Hell, I can barely navigate my way through the computer at times but some of the suggestions do make sense. Some I think not, but hey, it's a start

Quote:
...I had already posted them up at Teh Evil CorvetteForum
Come on brother. No one ever said they were evil And not everyone there is in the same boat anyway. Just because one logs into a particular site, doesn't mean they share the same mindset or opinions, be it here, there or anywhere.
I know a lot of guys and gals on other sites that still log into the other forum for information, sales and parts. They don't or rarely post, but they still surf for information and add to the sites #'s.
They generally do thier posting elsewhere for the most part.

And I still have a few friends from the other site as well such as yourself

Quote:
Since those people are my FRIENDS I wanted to be sure they saw them.
I personally appreciate that

Quote:
you drama queens
Who you callin' a "Queen" beotch!

Quote:
I'll tell ya what, if this is the level of discourse here now, if this is the subject matter that really gets people posting, well, that's pretty sad.
I have to agree. This has always been a friendly place with good people and a lot of interaction (off the net) We've had the chance to hang out together and interact in the real world on many occasions and I've always enjoyed it.

Then a couple of bugs popped up, opinions got in the way of common sense. Attitudes, angers flared, personalities, arrogance and power struggles followed and the rest was bad

Every site has it's issues. But unlike mods, we tend to leave things open rather than locking or deleting the threads. As you saw, I locked it, it was unlocked. That's how serious the administration is about free speech

..so here we are...

As I've said publically before, I have to take partial responsibility for my part in that fiasco and full responsibility for my actions.

My apologies to anyone who has been caught up in this mess and my sincere desire that we can get back on track to where we were before this all started

And to Rick (the OP) thanks for posting the ORIGINAL THREAD
If it had stayed on track, it might have led to a more positive end

Gordon

Last edited by Shadow; 06-15-2008 at 04:37 PM.
Unread 06-15-2008, 01:06 PM   #96
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannet View Post
Huh? I'm not "that upset". I was mildly irritated. At this point it's history and I'm sorry I mentioned it. I tried to explain in the rest of that post some of the factors that make the site less of a priority for me. Intended as helpful suggestions, and maybe to provoke discussion.
Be that as it may, Dave, from what I interpretted, my moving your thread was an event that appeared to be the catalyst that caused you to decide to leave this site. I sent you a PM explaining my reasoning and you never even bothered to reply.

Here's the PM I sent you at that time:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z
Quote:
I guess I'll just stop posting these questions asking for recommendations, because they end up getting moved to this section and dying here. Nevermind.
The whole idea of having forums is so not only can people post within them the topics that are appropriate for that particular forum, but also so someone 6 months from now who remembers READING such a thread can easily find the thread by looking within the forum that is most logically the one where such a thread is most likely located.

The two alternatives are to (1) just allow any threads to be posted absolutely anywhere in any forum, regardless of the inappropriateness, or (2) just have a single huge forum for this entire site and not have any segregation via forums at all.

Personally, I don't think either alternative would work very well.

So yes, when I see threads posted in a forum that is not quite appropriate for the topic matter, I move it into the forum where it is probably better to be in. I know there can be differences of opinion on what is best, but in many cases it is pretty obvious.

Again, sorry you don't appreciate my efforts at trying to maintain some order and structure around here....

Rich Z.
Why did moving that thread of yours even "mildly irritate" you? I didn't realize nor intend for it to be taken as a personal slap in the face of any kind. But it appears to me that is how you took it.

I have to move threads here and on my other sites every day. Even though I have taken the trouble to post a rough guideline of what each forum is basically designed to hold, there are still people who will post threads that are certainly more appropriately placed in another forum. I move them, then leave a redirect for 2 or 3 days so the original author and other viewers can easily find the thread and take note of it's new location. Certainly just throwing my hands up in the air in resignation and leaving them where they are posted is certainly an option. Is that what you and everyone else really wants around here?

Sorry, but I have been a database programmer for a spell, and I find that I like to have things categorized in such a way that the "data" is logically arranged and presented in an orderly fashion for easy access later on. Lord knows I have been on mine and other sites more times than I can remember trying to find a thread or post I remember reading years ago, and I ALWAYS checked the forums where it would most logically be located. Threads contain information and I do hope such information will be of as much use to the person posting it NOW as it will be to someone else looking for that same information three years from now. So I'm trying to make it easy on them to find it. Heck, how many times do you see someone post a reply to someone's query on OTHER sites saying something to the effect "DO A SEARCH! IT'S ALREADY BEEN DISCUSSED HERE!" Yeah, probably so, but unless a forum site imposes some structure, it would make it all the more difficult for that poor soul to FIND that info before getting slammed about not looking for it. And I SERIOUSLY doubt that other sites do not move threads as well.

Again, that was not intended as a personal affront to you, and I'm sorry that you apparently took it that way.
Unread 06-15-2008, 04:35 PM   #97
CHASZ51
Z51

Name :
CHASZ51 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Spare me. Get over yourself, even. I didn't "leave the site", nor did I do any "grandstanding". I just haven't been around much lately. I'm here in this thread, trying to make the site work better, ain't I? If I didn't GAF, believe me, I wouldn't be here.

The only reason I showed up here yesterday is I wanted to share the pics I took of the cookout at AntiVenom. I had already posted them up at Teh Evil CorvetteForum but I knew a bunch of people HERE took their bat and went home from that place and hence likely wouldn't see them. Since those people are my FRIENDS I wanted to be sure they saw them. While I was here I was checking around, and since you drama queens had pushed this thread to the top page I happened to see it, and the rest is history.

Just FYI Psychotic: I may post here, or I may not, and I really, truly don't GAF what you think about it, or me.
I missed a cookout at Anti Venoms? I never knew anything about it.
CHASZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2008, 04:43 PM   #98
Shadow

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASZ51 View Post
It was right there in the events section and an ongoing post for days:

http://www.corvetteflorida.com/forum...ight=ANTIVENOM

Unread 06-15-2008, 04:46 PM   #99
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASZ51 View Post
Thank you for highlighting a point I've been trying to make. If members would post all events in the calendar section of this site that they are aware of, it might make this site more attractive to everyone interested in such events if they could easily find out about them. The calendar is a very effective way for events to get some more exposure and quite likely get more attendance if more people knew about them.

All registered members can post such events in the calendar, so I'm sure everyone would greatly appreciate more attentiveness at keeping it accurate and uptodate.

Matter of fact, giving kudos where due, Gannet was the one who originally populated the calendar with all of the events that were known about at the time. If more people would make this sort of effort, maybe we WOULD give more people reasons to make it a habit of stopping by here.
Unread 06-15-2008, 04:46 PM   #100
Shadow

Name :

Is there any way we can be done with this thread?

Aside from useless, it's boeocming redundant and counter productive (JMHO).

Thanks.