The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Maintenance, Mods, & Tips

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Maintenance, Mods, & Tips Mods | Tips | Repairs & Troubleshooting

Unread 11-28-2011, 07:31 PM   #1131
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by z06ufgrad2002 View Post
In almost certainty you will need to remove the intake manifold to replace the MAP sensor. Unless your SO can get their hands back there to perform the work. And if anyone has put RTV silicone on it to hold it in place, it will be even harder to remove.
No, Connie's hands won't fit back there neither. She tried....

Heck, I've pulled off the intake manifold of my '66 GTO back in the old days MANY times, but that was a piece of cake. Nowhere near all the stuff on an engine like there is these days. But if it's what I've got to do, then I don't see any other options presenting themselves to me. I guess getting over being a virgin at anything is a bit intimidating. I suppose the old argument of "well you either do it the first time sooner or later, or you never do it at all" applies here as well.

I mean, after all that has happened so far, what's the worse that could happen now?

Oh yeah, I know. I swear I smell a gasoline leak somewhere on that car. But I've looked everywhere and can't see anything leaking. I guess when I disconnect the battery and it throws a spark I'll find out where the leak is.

So here's a question. SHOULD the fuel system hold pressure after the ignition is turned off? If not, how does the pressure get bled off?
Unread 11-28-2011, 08:24 PM   #1132
navy2kcoupe
!ereH nI depparT m'I pleH

Location: 25 miles south of Boston, MA. Also have a house in Dunedin FL.
Name : Andy Anderson
navy2kcoupe has disabled reputation

I believe that you pull the fuel pump fuse and wait for the engine to die. That gets
rid of most, if not all, fuel pressure. Removing the intake manifold is daunting at first,
but after you see how its done, and watch one being done, it seems to all come
together. I watched mine being done when I had the oil pressure sender replaced,
and I think I will be doing it the next time it needs done. 2 things to keep in mind.......
1. use masking tape to cover the intake "holes" in the head after the manifold
is removed to keep "stuff" out of there.
2. replace the o-rings that seal the intake passages before you reinstall the manifold.
they don't cost that much, and you damn sure don't want to be going back in there
to do it after you've got it all buttoned up again.

Andy Anderson
VIETNAM VETERANS CORVETTE CLUB - FOUNDING MEMBER #1
https://sites.google.com/site/vietna...scorvetteclub/
navy2kcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2011, 10:04 PM   #1133
CorvetteJohn
Deceased

Name : John Robinson
CorvetteJohn is on a distinguished road

Since you have a lift you might look from the bottom side to see if there is room to get to it from there.
CorvetteJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2011, 02:10 AM   #1134
Rich Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by navy2kcoupe View Post
I believe that you pull the fuel pump fuse and wait for the engine to die. That gets
rid of most, if not all, fuel pressure. Removing the intake manifold is daunting at first,
but after you see how its done, and watch one being done, it seems to all come
together. I watched mine being done when I had the oil pressure sender replaced,
and I think I will be doing it the next time it needs done. 2 things to keep in mind.......
1. use masking tape to cover the intake "holes" in the head after the manifold
is removed to keep "stuff" out of there.
2. replace the o-rings that seal the intake passages before you reinstall the manifold.
they don't cost that much, and you damn sure don't want to be going back in there
to do it after you've got it all buttoned up again.

Andy Anderson
That Aeromotive fuel pump doesn't seem to hold the fuel pressure indefinitely after I shut the car down. So that is my question: What is it that bleeds off the pressure? If there is a small leak, that might explain it. And it might be small enough that the gasoline evaporates before it can actually leak somewhere that it will be noticeable. But fact of the matter is, it's a fire hazard if that is the case, and although it wouldn't surprise me in the least if this all ends in this manner, I'd really rather that it not.
Unread 11-29-2011, 02:11 AM   #1135
Rich Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorvetteJohn View Post
Since you have a lift you might look from the bottom side to see if there is room to get to it from there.
Yeah, I looked at it from that angle. Not a chance......

Ed tells me that all I need to do is to get the cable end off of the sensor. We can relocate the new MAP sensor up front somewhere. If I can get that fuel rail off on the passenger side, I think I can get to it from there. But never taken a fuel rail off before...
Unread 11-29-2011, 06:02 AM   #1136
Gannet

Name :
Gannet is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
That Aeromotive fuel pump doesn't seem to hold the fuel pressure indefinitely after I shut the car down. So that is my question: What is it that bleeds off the pressure? If there is a small leak, that might explain it. And it might be small enough that the gasoline evaporates before it can actually leak somewhere that it will be noticeable. But fact of the matter is, it's a fire hazard if that is the case, and although it wouldn't surprise me in the least if this all ends in this manner, I'd really rather that it not.
My guess, and it's only that, is that it bleeds back through the pump. If you don't see or smell fuel, you almost certainly don't have a leak.

[EDIT] I see now where you said you smell fuel. Nevermind...

Last edited by Gannet; 11-29-2011 at 07:09 AM.
Gannet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2011, 06:40 AM   #1137
Gannet

Name :
Gannet is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
Yeah, I looked at it from that angle. Not a chance......

Ed tells me that all I need to do is to get the cable end off of the sensor. We can relocate the new MAP sensor up front somewhere. If I can get that fuel rail off on the passenger side, I think I can get to it from there. But never taken a fuel rail off before...
Relocating the MAP sensor is pretty common with FAST manifolds. LPE makes a block-off kit for the hole, and Katech and LPE sell extension harnesses to move it forward. If you search on "FAST MAP relocation" you'll find threads with pics.

This one has some good step-by-step pics of the manifold removal and relocation install about 3/4 of the way down-thread.
Gannet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2011, 01:34 PM   #1138
Rich Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannet View Post
Relocating the MAP sensor is pretty common with FAST manifolds. LPE makes a block-off kit for the hole, and Katech and LPE sell extension harnesses to move it forward. If you search on "FAST MAP relocation" you'll find threads with pics.

This one has some good step-by-step pics of the manifold removal and relocation install about 3/4 of the way down-thread.
Yeah, I saw the writeup when I was looking to see what the heck I would be getting into with this MAP relocate. I'm not sure what Ed has in mind, because Aaron hooked into that place on the intake manifold he was looking to use with the vacuum line going to the boost blow off valve. I guess what is worrying me is that with stuff like this, although it's not all that tough, if you haven't done it before, nearly all the little parts you need you won't know about till you get there, and that means running to the store to buy a 50 cent item and burning $10 in gasoline for each trip. That's even if the local stores have what you need, which if history has been any guide for me, is rarely the case.

Heck, I dunno. I did my share of wrenching when I was younger, but gave it up out of frustration with wrong parts, DOA parts, parts that ALMOST fit, and crap like that. I'm not sure I want to do that sort of thing again. But on the other hand, after taking that big hit on the bill from Aaron, finances may not allow me to just send the car off to someone else to finish it up. I certainly can't bankrupt the retirement fund for this car.

So, quite honestly, I may just hit a brick wall with this...
Unread 11-29-2011, 03:20 PM   #1139
Rich Z

Went out to the garage today to try to locate a fuel leak. Getting tired of the smell of gasoline when I walk in there. Already had the car on the lift, but first decided to just look under the hood after pressurizing the fuel lines. Yeah, saw some wetness on an injector just below the fuel rail. Connie was helping, and she suggested running the car and checking it again. So yeah, the injector on cylinder #6 is leaking pretty badly where it joins with the fuel rail. Not a gusher, but the injector looks all wet with the engine running. Well, I guess I have dodged Murphy's Law (so far) on that one. Apparently his plan was for me to become a fireball rolling down the road on my way home from Aaron's shop. So I guess even Mr. Murphy is subject to Murphy's Law sometimes.

Last edited by Rich Z; 11-29-2011 at 03:23 PM. Reason: Just added a detail...
Rich Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2011, 03:58 PM   #1140
Rich Z

I talked to Aaron about this and he suggested just trying to move the injector to see if it will seal at the fuel rail. Just about everything is new in this car, so it just might be a seating issue that manifested itself during the drive home. If not, he will send me some new seals, which would mean I would be pulling off the fuel rail. Not sure how well that will go if the fuel system is still pressurized, so I'll let it set for a few days so maybe the pressure will drop off. I think it does anyway, but I'm not sure how much. Getting a face full of 60 psi gasoline doesn't sound like my idea of a fun time.

Worse comes to worse I can just have it towed up there I guess. I've got AAA so it wouldn't cost me anything. Luckily I've got the plan that allows for up to 100 miles or so on a tow.

Tags
427, aaron scott, chris harwood, rhs block, south georgia corvette, xtrememotorsports