The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > Florida Specific Forums > General Florida Discussions

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

General Florida Discussions Anything related to Florida in general. From "natives" talking about things they know about, to visitors asking about details to make their visit more pleasant.

Unread 09-11-2016, 12:35 PM   #31
CHASZ51
Z51

Name :
CHASZ51 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
So, was your trade of the larger scope a tradeoff of capability and ease of managing moving around that larger beast? Did you lose much capability with the smaller scope?

Looking forward to seeing what sort of photos you can get from that thing.
It was a trade off for a smaller scope to handle. I never take photos. I never keep these scopes long and always looking for more. Look how thick this mirror is and the custom machined mirror cell must weight 40lbs together.

CHASZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2016, 01:33 PM   #32
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Heck, I couldn't imagine investing all the time and effort into something like you are doing without the intention to take photos. I don't know how many times I have looked at something I took a photo of and noticed details that I completely missed while actually looking at them in real time. Not to mention there is always the possibility of seeing a once in a lifetime event, and being able to capture that image in a photo.

But to each their own, I guess.
Unread 09-11-2016, 05:45 PM   #33
CHASZ51
Z51

Name :

Quote:
Heck, I couldn't imagine investing all the time and effort into something like you are doing without the intention to take photos. I don't know how many times I have looked at something I took a photo of and noticed details that I completely missed while actually looking at them in real time. Not to mention there is always the possibility of seeing a once in a lifetime event, and being able to capture that image in a photo.

But to each their own, I guess.
I don't look thru them much other than to test them before selling. I like rebuilding them more than looking thru them. I buy and sell a lot. I did a few moon shots with film back in the 80's and just have no clue how take photos with todays cams.
Unread 09-11-2016, 06:09 PM   #34
Rich Z

Ah, OK. I thought you had this as a hobby to actually use them as a backyard hobbyist, and didn't realize you were doing this as a part time business. From this discussion it sounded to me that you were going to put the mount outside, more or less permanently, on a concrete slab.

But still, I think if you had photos to show prospective customers what they can see through the scopes you are rebuilding and selling, it would be an excellent marketing tool. One of the main reasons I bought the Nikon P900 was because of videos and images I saw online of it's capabilities. Reading about such things is nothing even close to actually SEEING what the results can be.

I believe all the camera body manufactures can take a T Ring adapter so you can mount a DSLR directly to a telescope. This site might be of some assistance -> http://www.telescopeadapters.com/
Unread 09-11-2016, 07:11 PM   #35
CHASZ51
Z51

Name :

I am keeping the mount. It will be used to test whatever scopes i buy down the road. I have one scope that i use to just view the moon and jupiter when it is in prime time for about 3 months a year and it is a 1970 8" F/8.5 Cave. It will be used on the big mount. I have had over 220 scopes since the 70's. I get bored fast and like to tinker more than view.
Unread 09-11-2016, 07:36 PM   #36
Rich Z

Yeah, I hear that. After all, our view of the moon really never changes, so a view you get today will very likely not be any different from one you got 10 years or more ago.

Would be nice to get some nice pics of a spectacular comet sometime, though.

I bought a solar filter that I want to try out with the sun using the P900 sometime. I guess that will be different. For a little while, anyway.
Unread 09-11-2016, 08:25 PM   #37
CHASZ51
Z51

Name :

Quote:
Yeah, I hear that. After all, our view of the moon really never changes, so a view you get today will very likely not be any different from one you got 10 years or more ago.

Would be nice to get some nice pics of a spectacular comet sometime, though.

I bought a solar filter that I want to try out with the sun using the P900 sometime. I guess that will be different. For a little while, anyway.
Jupiter and Mars are the only objects that show change and once in 30 years you see some surface changes on saturn.
Unread 09-16-2016, 03:29 PM   #38
CHASZ51
Z51

Name :

8" Cave on the over size mount.

Unread 09-16-2016, 04:34 PM   #39
Rich Z

Kind of looks like a couple of narrow hot water heaters....

But yeah, looks like that mount would take a MUCH larger scope without breathing hard.
Unread 09-16-2016, 05:47 PM   #40
CHASZ51
Z51

Name :

Quote:
Kind of looks like a couple of narrow hot water heaters....

But yeah, looks like that mount would take a MUCH larger scope without breathing hard.
It will be rock solid.