The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > Florida Specific Forums > General Florida Discussions

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

General Florida Discussions Anything related to Florida in general. From "natives" talking about things they know about, to visitors asking about details to make their visit more pleasant.

Unread 04-27-2006, 03:57 PM   #1
Z06 Rocket

Name :
Z06 Rocket is on a distinguished road
Cool Gators in Florida

Any body of water can have a "friend" in it, even pools!

A lady that lives near me heard a noise outside and called the police because she thought she had a prowler in her patio. The police found this. I took a few pics before the trapper took it away. He said it was the 2nd of the night for him.

Z06 Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2006, 04:12 PM   #2
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Well that certainly would make a midnight dip in the pool rather exciting! Whenever the wife and I go out to take a dip in our pool, even though it is screened in, we still scan it with the flashlight.

Before we had it screened in, we had DOZENS of tree frogs to swim with every night. Noisy little buggers, but they were fun having around.
Rich Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2006, 04:48 PM   #3
Z06 Rocket

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z
Well that certainly would make a midnight dip in the pool rather exciting! Whenever the wife and I go out to take a dip in our pool, even though it is screened in, we still scan it with the flashlight.

Before we had it screened in, we had DOZENS of tree frogs to swim with every night. Noisy little buggers, but they were fun having around.

Yea they are pretty common here too. Freak you out when they jump from a wall or tree right in front of you.

We had that snake in our pool last year, and I found a pretty big skin outside from a Black Racer (?Coachwhip?). My wife shudders at the thought of seeing the snake when she lets the dogs outside... LMAO.
Unread 04-27-2006, 05:06 PM   #4
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

What's the snake look like? Racers don't really get very big. If it is a big shiny blue-black snake it may be an Indigo. If so (and actually this applies to the racers and coachwhips as well) they will actually EAT venomous snakes that they come across. So they aren't bad to have around. Most snakes don't want anything to do with human beings, so if you give them the space, they will get out of your way.

Over the years I have released snakes around here that were long term captives, and amazingly, some will actually follow you around since they got used to me feeding them. A while ago the wife and I were on vacation and a friend of ours stopped by here to check on things while we were gone. When we got back he seemed worried about this snake in the front yard that would raise it's head up a little bit and stare at him. This was a king snake I had released a few weeks prior and he was just looking for a mouse as a hand out. But certainly put my friend on edge.....

Heck, having guard snakes around the house probably isn't a bad idea anyway. Some burglar coming by and seeing snakes coming out of the bushes at him would probably have a heart attack on the spot.
Rich Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2006, 08:10 PM   #5
Zach

Name :
Zach is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Well that certainly would make a midnight dip in the pool rather exciting!
HAHA, you said it!
Unread 04-27-2006, 08:44 PM   #6
Z06 Rocket

Name :

Quote:
What's the snake look like? Racers don't really get very big. If it is a big shiny blue-black snake it may be an Indigo. If so (and actually this applies to the racers and coachwhips as well) they will actually EAT venomous snakes that they come across. So they aren't bad to have around. Most snakes don't want anything to do with human beings, so if you give them the space, they will get out of your way.

Over the years I have released snakes around here that were long term captives, and amazingly, some will actually follow you around since they got used to me feeding them. A while ago the wife and I were on vacation and a friend of ours stopped by here to check on things while we were gone. When we got back he seemed worried about this snake in the front yard that would raise it's head up a little bit and stare at him. This was a king snake I had released a few weeks prior and he was just looking for a mouse as a hand out. But certainly put my friend on edge.....

Heck, having guard snakes around the house probably isn't a bad idea anyway. Some burglar coming by and seeing snakes coming out of the bushes at him would probably have a heart attack on the spot.

Sorry, I don't know how to pull out a 1 or 2 line quote, only the whole thing. Anyway, it is around 2 - 3 ft long, shiny jet black, and normal head (I mean not diamond like viper etc). Thing zips away if I happen to catch it sunning on the porch sidewalk or in the grass. I've always just let it be but I do jump a bit . I think I saw a moccassin on the edge of a ditch near my house at around sunset when I was mowing the yard once. When I got too close before I saw it the thing took off. It was getting dark but it looked like he stayed on top of the water near the surface. If the black snake keeps the moccassin away its good in my book.