The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > Florida Specific Forums > General Florida Discussions

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

General Florida Discussions Anything related to Florida in general. From "natives" talking about things they know about, to visitors asking about details to make their visit more pleasant.

Unread 04-25-2008, 08:38 PM   #1
"Backyard Mechanic"

Name :
"Backyard Mechanic" has disabled reputation
Default Faith in Humanity

I just want to get something of my chest,I'm surely not complaining.
We have been so lucky to have meet so many AWESOME people here at this site.
When I bought my corvette,I had thought that all those rich,uptight,I think I'm better then you type of people who own those sport cars would look at me and so,He's too young to own that car,or he must have come from money.Or something like that.
That was my mistake to think that people we're like that.I had never thought I would be lucky enough to own one of America's greatest sport cars.But though hard work and maybe some luck,I have.
I consider myself a very down to earth person,sometimes alittle wierd,but somewhat normal,I have always believed in Karma,and try to treat people like they treat me,I have gone out my way to help out people and sometimes I have been burnt,and sometimes it works out,but I do it any ways.

I would like to Thank all of you I have meet through this place,so many of you have gone out of your way to help me or my family,And from the bottom of my heart,Thank You.
It has been a quite tough year for us,but with friends like you all,I know we will be ok
Sorry I got so mushy,It must be knowing I have a grandson coming

I do want to Thank Shawn and Ken and there family for going out of there way to provide us some very needed things for the grandson
"Backyard Mechanic" is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2008, 09:33 PM   #2
LS2POWA
Team Afterhours Member

Name : Corey Metz
LS2POWA is on a distinguished road

Yeah trust me, i got a lot of bad looks and snickers when i first bought my car. first meet i went to i felt out of place, and no offense but when i first went i was seeing guys old enough to be my dad. but they turned out to be really cool people.

i still get crap from random drivers, but just gotta brush your shoulders off. to the hatas
Unread 04-25-2008, 10:11 PM   #3
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Heck, I thought just to opposite when I bought my C5Z.... I was thinking all the young people would be looking at this old coot driving that sports car thinking "That guy is too old to be driving something like that. It should be driven by someone young enough to drive it like it is supposed to be driven...."
Unread 04-25-2008, 10:20 PM   #4
LS2POWA
Team Afterhours Member

Name : Corey Metz
LS2POWA is on a distinguished road

Well when you drive a stock car with your nose in the air then your an old coot, but when you driving around with your exhaust whistlin dixie, then your not to be trifled with.

The worst run-in ive had was sitting at a light, some mid 40s guy pulls up next to me with his top down an his woman. full business attire and what not, and im prolly one of the youngest drivers to, thinks of words..keeping the heritage alive?, by waving to him(before i bought my vette my uncle was telling me about the "save the wave"). Well him an his woman both looked at me in disgust for some reason and looked straight ahead, and when his turn went green he took off like a bat out of hell.

im sure he worked for his car, and he prolly thought mommy an daddy bought my car, and its people like this id love to see walk with my disability for a day and still tell me i dont deserve this car.
Unread 04-26-2008, 09:09 AM   #5
THOR

Name :
THOR will become famous soon enough

The power of ENVY will always rear its angry head regardless of age or circumstance. I run into this quite often. Folks that do not know me assume because I'm a Doctor, that I can't possibly be relateable or interested in them. Nothing could be furthur from the truth. I could care less what a person does for his occupation. I'm more interested in the life's experiences of the people I meet.
With regards to our vettes, the 'have nots' justify our existence with either "Oh he (or she) is too young to own that car. His Daddy must be footing the bill" or "Look at that old dude driving that vette. He must be having a mid-life crisis." You can't win against the envy and so I just smile and do the WAVE.
PS- Thanks Rob for sharing your thoughts and starting this thread.
THOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2008, 09:13 AM   #6
Pres712
Pres712

Name : Jim Hildebrand
Pres712 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up It's been a ball

I bought my first Vette in 1967 when I was 27 and never looked back. I was lucky enough to be in business with my father and could afford it as I also had a company car. People started waving at me and I thought "how cool". I got with the dealership that sold me the car and started a Corvette Club. Haven't been without a Vette since and here 41 years later, still "Vettin'". Yes Rob, count yourself one of the lucky ones. There is nothing like the fellowship of Corvettes!
Pres712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2008, 12:36 PM   #7
Wolf1171

Name :
Wolf1171 is on a distinguished road

There are good and bad people in all walks of life, I have found that most corvette owners that hang out on the forums and goto the events are some of the best people in the world that would give you the shirt off of their back if you needed it.

Goodluck to your son and that new grandbaby
Wolf1171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2008, 04:40 PM   #8
jcb_njb

Name : Jim Brackett
jcb_njb is on a distinguished road

Rob, you are a rich man. Just count your friends. And I feel richer know you and Mary. You are great people and friends.
jcb_njb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2008, 06:47 PM   #9
Classy
Car Arts Auto Detailing

Name :
Classy has disabled reputation

We are looking forward to him coming,Thank you to all that has helped us and wait to you see the slideshow when the baby comes in mid June
Classy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2008, 01:15 PM   #10
DanC5

Name :
DanC5 is on a distinguished road

Congrats Rob!!

When people truly share a common passion for something, you usually find that you have more than just that passion in common. The passion for living a full and wonderful life is, i think, something we all share. Not just a passion for an awesome, sexy, driving machine. I've owned everything from 60's camaro's to turbo'd rx-7's and Z's, big AMG mercedes, a few porsches, ect ect. But I have to say that the camaraderie between vette owners is more than any other group I've dealt with and much more down to earth. I'm no rich guy...far from it. I've bought every car I've owned used, and never paid more than 25k$ for a car...because I cant afford too. I'll be keeping my vette for a long, long time. I love this car, and I enjoy the company of fellow gearheads who share this "disease" ( as my ex called it ). You guys and gals are great. Look forward to meeting some of you at upcoming events!
DanC5 is offline   Reply With Quote