The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > Florida Specific Forums > General Florida Discussions

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

General Florida Discussions Anything related to Florida in general. From "natives" talking about things they know about, to visitors asking about details to make their visit more pleasant.

Unread 06-15-2019, 06:24 PM   #1
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough
Default Rattlesnake

Well, today seemed like a good day to get outside and work in the yard. No rain predicted, and things have dried out from the several days of rain we had last week. We are clearing away the grape vines and bamboo in a little patch on the west side of the garage so the big palm and bunch of little siblings can have some elbow room.

We had been dragging the cut stuff over to a pile we have in back of the garage for a couple of hours when I heard Connie call out in alarm. I dropped what I was doing and ran over there just to see the back end of a pretty big diamondback going off into the brush, buzzing like crazy. So I guess Connie scared it as much as it scared her. Strange thing is that I was right there not more than a couple of minutes ago, so I guess that rattler was just on the prowl.

Yeah, they are definitely around here, but honestly we don't hardly ever even think about them. Hopefully neither Connie or myself will have a painful encounter with one some day.
Unread 06-15-2019, 08:00 PM   #2
CHASZ51
Z51

Name :
CHASZ51 is on a distinguished road

Never seen one alive. There was one 2 homes down from me last summer.
CHASZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2019, 12:23 AM   #3
Rich Z

That isn't surprising that you have never seen one. Most people will likely kill them on sight, so the chances of one surviving being in even a lightly populated area is pretty slim. We are just 3/4s of a mile from the Apalachicola National Forest, and most of the houses around here are on a fair amount of land. We have a creek that runs from the national forest through the north end of our property, so that would be a natural conduit for a lot of wildlife.

Most of the rattlesnakes we have found around here have been real mellow and rarely rattle. Connie obviously surprised this one as it buzzed like crazy as it hurredly retreated into the brush. It could have turned out pretty ugly had she actually stepped on it, I'm sure. But she says it was pretty darn big, so I doubt that would have happened.
Unread 06-16-2019, 12:40 PM   #4
85vette

Name :
85vette will become famous soon enough

There are a lot of Rattlesnakes in Wakulla County. We received quite a few snake calls from citizens when I was a deputy there, but we encountered quite a few on our patrols. There is/was one that I saw near the dump off Lower Bridge Road that, no lie, had to have been 11 feet long. I was in my patrol car headed west and I observed a motorhome about a half mile away, approaching me from the west, move over into the eastbound lane. As it returned to the westbound lane I saw what I assumed to be debris in the eastbound lane behind him. I thought to myself that someone had lost part of their load while enroute to the dump. As I got closer to the "debris" I noticed that the debris was moving! It moved into the tall uncut grass along side the road. I pulled my patrol car onto the grass on that side of the road and.....I felt a bump! And then from the grass a Rattlesnake reared it's head around towards my window, looking at me, head level with my door! Fortunately my window was up. I stared at it for a moment, realizing that it's head was bigger than my fist, it's body was larger around than my leg! And then it turned and slithered into the woods. Apparently I had run over it's tail. It didn't appear to have suffered any injury, at least it didn't hamper it's movement. But that snake was the largest one I have ever seen alive. Later that day I saw a man in a pickup truck stop along Spring Creek Highway with a metal rod capture one that was about 4 feet long. I stopped to talk to him and he looked at me and he grabbed the Rattler by the neck, got in his truck and said, "Dinner", before holding the snake out the window as he drove off! I love Wakulla County!
Unread 06-17-2019, 02:24 PM   #5
Rich Z

They don't call this "Will-Kill-Ya" county for nothing!