The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > Florida Specific Forums > The Police Blotter

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

The Police Blotter This forum is for the purpose of alerting our readers of thefts and robberies. The idea is that WE can all keep our eyes peeled for the stuff and maybe catch those creeps.

Unread 05-16-2009, 07:34 AM   #11
boattrash9

Name :
boattrash9 has disabled reputation
Default That shows what happens when you try to have fun

in response to the street racing bust!!!

Well I understand the need to make the streets safe but this one was just awful....The should just make a law that says if it involves fun that it is illegal!!! LoL wait I think it's already like that!!
boattrash9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2009, 10:26 AM   #12
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by boattrash9 View Post

Well I understand the need to make the streets safe but this one was just awful....The should just make a law that says if it involves fun that it is illegal!!! LoL wait I think it's already like that!!
eh, most the things I enjoy are either illegal, immoral or fattening....

Remember:
Artificial Intelligence is no replacement for Natural Stupidity!

Be Polite, Be Professional...and have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2009, 09:58 AM   #13
Z06 Rocket

Name :
Z06 Rocket is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by boattrash9 View Post

Yea it's just SSSOOOOO MUUUCCH FFUUUUUUNNN to go to a funeral of an innocent citizen that pulled out in tront of a sports car or motorcycle going triple digit speeds on a 35 or 45 mph road who got t-boned and killed because when they pulled out the cars were a half a mile away and they had no idea they were coming so fast......

I'm NOT criticizimg the occasional romp on the gas pedal for a short and controlled distance.... I am referring to the all out ballz to the wall acceleration while you are looking to the side at the other racer and not paying attention to the cars in front of you while going 2 to 3 to 4 times the speed limit with cross traffic. How many race tracks can you name that have a pedestrian road to cross the track while the races are going? Is there even one? I think not.

Save it for the track there Speedy Gonzales.
Z06 Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2009, 07:17 PM   #14
pmj341

Name :
pmj341 has disabled reputation
Default When we were young!!

I remember street racing when I was young, I loved going fast,
and still do, but with age comes wisdom, so I just go to the track!!!
We need to maybe teach these kids how to race in a safe enviroment,
make the tracks more accessible and some old timers to teach them how to do it right!!
pmj341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2009, 12:20 AM   #15
LS2POWA
Team Afterhours Member

Name : Corey Metz
LS2POWA is on a distinguished road

My experience with tracks is eh. Ill use OSW(Orlando Speed World), as an exmaple.

By far the worst run track Ive ever been to. Tech looked at my car, listened to it, and knew it was in the territory of atleast a 4pt cage. They went ahead and let me race anyways. My first pass I barely got on it and went sideways, my second pass I went sideways 3 times, I didnt end up in the wall cause I know my car very well.

When I took my car down county road 37 I believe(coming back from polk county back to bradenton) and did 176mph, I never once lost traction. Never once went sideways.

Corvettes are street ready cars or autocross. They are not meant to go down the 1/4m IMO.
Unread 07-25-2009, 08:19 AM   #16
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS2POWA View Post
My experience with tracks is eh. Ill use OSW(Orlando Speed World), as an exmaple.

By far the worst run track Ive ever been to. Tech looked at my car, listened to it, and knew it was in the territory of atleast a 4pt cage. They went ahead and let me race anyways. My first pass I barely got on it and went sideways, my second pass I went sideways 3 times, I didnt end up in the wall cause I know my car very well.

When I took my car down county road 37 I believe(coming back from polk county back to bradenton) and did 176mph, I never once lost traction. Never once went sideways.

Corvettes are street ready cars or autocross. They are not meant to go down the 1/4m IMO.
Well, I'm not as well versed on Zora'a original purpose behind the cette, but I do know that the original versions were SOLID AXLE cars and could withstand the shock of the engines they held. AS well, you can now upgrade those solid axle's pretty easily with something more "substantial."

IMO (as has been demonstrated repeatedly), the IRS in the vette, regardless of the manufacturer, and there are several "bullet proof" IRS providers on the market, is still the weak link in any Corvette when it comes to the 1/4 mile.

Simply put, too many moving parts.

I agree that the Corvette is much better suited and probably more at home, on a road or autocross track, or the Autobahn

Ok, here comes the DISCLAIMER:

The views and opinions expressed here are personal opinions of the writer and not necessarily the views and/or opinions of the staff, management, owner(s) or members of CORVETTE FLORIDA, CORVETTEFLORIDA.COM, and/or it's affiliates (if any?)

(how's that?)

176 mph on a public roadway is .

I agree that you may "know" your car; however, if you know your car, how did you allow it to go sideways on the track?

Not only once, but twice?

There are a lot of professional cars out there, high HP (higher than your're putting down) cars out there that can come off the line relatively straight, and stay straight though the 1/4, shifts and all.

It's about set up and ability. Training and practice

On a track, it's a relatively controlled environment.

On a public road, even a back woods country road (especially in some cases), you have NO CONTROL over your environment!

You have no idea that the last roofing truck down that same road inadvertently dumped a bucket of roofing nails while headed home.

You also have no idea that a deer, fleeing from a hunter, an another attacker or simply doing what comes naturally and running through the woods, is about to cross your path.

You never know when someone, anyone, a hunter, a ATV rider, an elderly person, an inattentive driver, a child or teen, is going to walk, run or exit onto the roadway from a side street, a private, or a dirt road, right into your path of travel!

When something breaks, and eventually something will break, a tire blows, a differential or one of the many UV joints on those IRS axles decides to go south, where are you headed? Into what?

And last but certainly not least, when the Trooper, County Deputy or City cop, still using the "old school" RADAR units, appears on the horizon, what are you going to do?

It's been a while, but I believe that I could use the Florida Street Racing Statue, make it stick, and have the vette repainted green/black/or blue and white, or Tan & Black or Gray (yes, FWC can get you too!) and the low profile lights look sweet on a vette

I'm not trying to be hypocritical.

Yes, I've broken the 100 mark on several occasions over my 35+ years of driving. And yes, I street raced as a kid. And yes, I've crashed cars!
Both racing (had a full cage in a street raced (semi-street legal) old 70 something Mustang (75-76 era can't recall now ), in pursuits (that one costs me a few days and a private ride back and forth to work for a month!), on police motorcycles (yeah, that one smarted a bit!) and just driving down the damned road

I'm not saying this to brag. I'm trying to make a point.

CHIT HAPPENS!

When street racing, I was young, quick, thought that I had my chit pretty well bagged, and we were running a car that was pretty well a pure quarter miler with a tag and bogus inspection sticker.

Still crashed over something simple!

In the pursuits, you're running high speeds, trying to monitor the bad guys, your backup and fellow officers, and keep and eye on the citizens doing the wrong things at the wrong time, all the while trying to be helpful and law abiding.
(*HINT* Don't abruptly STOP in the middle of the f#@*Ing road when you hear sirens!)

When it goes bad, it goes bad quick!

On the street, any number of reasons from not paying attention to vehicle malfunctions.

What I'm saying is, I've been lucky.

Not been sued (although my daughter may have just jinxed that record recently), not been killed, seriously hurt or seriously hurt or killed anyone else.

But at 176, that kinda luck isn't going to happen.

At that speed, you're moving at approximately 264 FPS

Given an observation and reaction time in the half second range, you're still going to travel 132' before anything even starts to happen to slow down the car...and that's if you don't move the wheel.

Move the wheel and things get ugly quick!

Going straight it's going to take freaking forever to bring that buggy to a halt.

As I said though, move the wheel, and you can just put a quarter in the slot and hang on for the ride!

By the way. While doing 176, are you still wearing the helmet you had at the track? I realize they didn't ding you for no cage, but since when to they determine your speed and ET by sound?

Once you got sideways twice, I'd be asking you to leave my track for liability reasons.
My guess is, if they're that lax, it will bite them in the ass one day and we'll have one less official track on which to send the kids

And since it was mentioned, if you realized that you "should" have had a cage, other drivers and the law be damend, why would you take the same risks on the road without one? That just doesn't make sense to me

Ok, rants over....and I'm no damned saint! Those that know me know...that shine on my head isn't a HALO, it's a GLARE

Just be careful out there and use your head

Gordon

Remember:
Artificial Intelligence is no replacement for Natural Stupidity!

Be Polite, Be Professional...and have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2009, 09:26 AM   #17
pmj341

Name :
pmj341 has disabled reputation

Quote:

Your first mistake was thinking Orlando Speedworld was a track, I used to race Bikes, we ran 7.70's @195mph, we would not go there except to do
tunning. this was back in 1980's.
We went to Desoto, it was a little better, when prepped the track would allows us to run 8.0@185 without spinning, if we bumped the power up we would light the tire up. so it's track prep and drivers ability.
the only local track then and now that was worth a sh** was Moroso and still is.
About a month ago I took my Vette, with drag radials, yes Vette, to Desoto, and did a 11.09@127, spinning 2nd, with a 1.69 60ft.
PBIR with street tires I did a 11.17 @126, and 1.7 60 ft, so even with street tires Moroso is better. I'm going today to run with the drag radials, I'll let you know what happens.
there is street DD that run in the 10's, yes a car driven every day to work will do it, Vette's were not made to Drag Race, Yet they work great when driven and setup right.
pmj341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2009, 11:27 AM   #18
LS2POWA
Team Afterhours Member

Name : Corey Metz
LS2POWA is on a distinguished road

I went sideways at OSW because they dont prep the track worth a damn. They spray VHT up to the 60ft and your own your own after that. Ive had a couple techs come into my work they know my car from BMP and told me I wouldnt clear tech inspection so theres no point in coming out to race.

Well a stock trim C6 will run 12, now add a cammed an stroked motor with a nice size blower, 3200 stall at the time, and itll make some time. See on the pass I went sideways three times I still trapped a 120mph...no boost, on street tires.

I pushed 176 mainly cause I wanted to. Its a rush I enjoy, to me its better then being on drugs. I have the same chance dying from rolling my car, as I do some strung out crackhead coming into my pawn shop with a gun and blowing my head off, so IF Im going to die I might as well go out the way I prefer.

I wont do any of that in the city though, fastest to 60 is about all Ill push in the city.
I started applying the brakes when I saw a small blur on the horizon, which turned out to be almost 2m down the road according to the odometer.
Unread 07-27-2009, 12:32 AM   #19
floridaZ

Name :
floridaZ has disabled reputation

I'd have to be with LS2 on this. Now on I4 during rush hour, in a construction zone, etc... not a good idea to speed at all.

But when there is nobody around, it's really not any more dangerous than being there at the speed limit. Back when I got off of work at 4 in the morning, I used to go 130mph all the way home on I4. There just wasn't anybody there to risk running into. And as for cops... I always figured if they were out there and could keep me in sight long enough to get pointed in my direction, they deserve to give me a ticket. And in that 6 months, I never came close to getting in a wreck. But I stopped counting how many times I've almost got run over when going 60-65 through that same area.
floridaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2009, 05:18 AM   #20
Z06 Rocket

Name :
Z06 Rocket is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I went sideways at OSW because they dont prep the track worth a damn. They spray VHT up to the 60ft and your own your own after that.
And the road is prepped better? One good point Shadow made was the fact that something could be in the roadway. It could range from a giant pot hole, a couple hundred nails to a full 5 galon paint bucket, to a 20 lb chunk of semi truck tire, or better yet a several hundred pound animal like a deer.

Quote:
I pushed 176 mainly cause I wanted to. Its a rush I enjoy, to me its better then being on drugs. I have the same chance dying from rolling my car, as I do some strung out crackhead coming into my pawn shop with a gun and blowing my head off, so IF Im going to die I might as well go out the way I prefer.
It's not you that is the problem. You are your own boss. If you want to die doing what you love so be it, it's the OTHER people you kill that is the problem. If you are lucky you die too and don't spend the rest of your life in prison for manslaughter. EVERY car made after about 1989 or 1990 has a "black box" hidden in them. The data that it records is everything from speed, to acceleration percentage, to braking percentage, seatbelts, air bags, and hundreds of more calculations that usually don't even pertain to the police investigation. All of this data is saved for a specified time frame up to the point of collision. It may be someting like 2 minutes worth of data or something like that. Even if you have a classic car with no data recorder the major crash investigation teams or traffic homicide teams can determine speed from alot of other factors. Witnesses, skids, and crush damage are just a few.

Quote:
I started applying the brakes when I saw a small blur on the horizon, which turned out to be almost 2m down the road according to the odometer.
That's kind of the point here.
Z06 Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote