The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > Florida Specific Forums > The Police Blotter

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

The Police Blotter This forum is for the purpose of alerting our readers of thefts and robberies. The idea is that WE can all keep our eyes peeled for the stuff and maybe catch those creeps.

Unread 07-31-2009, 05:42 AM   #31
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

Z06 Rocket wrote:
Quote:
That means that even if you fully expect the danger ahead (which human nature is to be complacent) you would still cover 1/2 of a football field before you BEGIN to react. One scond into it and you are already near the whole football field distance. Add in the OH SH*T factor and you have 2 to 3 football fields of distance involved. You are shocked and go through a brief stage of disbelief before a crash (or other traumatic event) which causes your brain to slow down and mull through the options that are not as bad as what you know is coming. Humans have a safety system that creates tunnel vision when under stress. This stress does not have to be all bad, just stress in general. The stress causes you to concentrate harder on the road ahead, but that limits your field of view and choices available based on your limited vision area. Shadow can explain this one better I'm sure.

I think you covered it very well

Remember:
Artificial Intelligence is no replacement for Natural Stupidity!

Be Polite, Be Professional...and have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2009, 06:20 AM   #32
Z06 Rocket

Name :
Z06 Rocket is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaZ View Post
And don't forget the 747, whose fuel tanks were accidentally filled with nitro-glycerin, causing the engines to explode sending the aircraft plummeting towards my impact zone with the drunk driver. At the same time, a locomotive pulling radioactive waste speeds out of control when the operators all suffer freak heart attacks. And then they hit a penny on the track, and come plummeting through the air towards the aforementioned impact zone. And just as all of these objects collide, my body spontaneously combusted...........

(shortened by Z06 for space - not content)........

I realize that there are several current and former LEOs on here, and I just want to point out that I mean nothing personal by the above. I just have a problem with anybody being empowered with the ability to control any aspect of my life. I have no problems with Jon Doe, but once he puts on his uniform and becomes Officer Doe he becomes a threat to my personal happiness. Yea, I'm selfish like that. But a lot of the time I just look at some stuff and can't figure out why it is "unlawful", many people make the mistake of thinking that anything illegal is immoral and wrong when that is often not the case.
Yea, I was young and invincible once too......

It will pass.

I just hope you don't have to find out with a cellmate named Bubba that you are not as invincible as you think.... but if you do then you were warned...
Z06 Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2009, 07:54 PM   #33
Mannings

Name : Rick Manning
Mannings is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06 Rocket View Post
Yea, I was young and invincible once too......

It will pass.

I just hope you don't have to find out with a cellmate named Bubba that you are not as invincible as you think.... but if you do then you were warned...

Well put Rocket, sometimes it takes time or a life changing experience to adjust an attitude. Now Budda can adjust an attitude real quick
Mannings is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2009, 09:22 PM   #34
LS2POWA
Team Afterhours Member

Name : Corey Metz
LS2POWA is on a distinguished road

Yeah my life changing experience was the moron in the RV who ran me off the road, while I was obeying every road law possible on my way from class. Now Im left permanently disabled in my leg.

Should have been dead, should I have to die because some old guy cant pay attention to the road while Im being the safe driver?

Should the thousands of ppl who die in dui accidents while the alchy walks away fine, be dead?

This is my final point, if IM on the road by myself in the middle of bum f*%$ you got a purdy mouth what does it matter if I kill myself doing something I want to do? Id have no problem going to a track to top out, but where in florida can you push those kind of limits? Only thing I know of is the texas mile, and I aint driving hours just to blow money on doing it on a highway. Whose to say the guy before me goes down the mile dumping oil, and I hit a oil patch and go for a roller coaster ride?

Quote:
There is ALWAYS the chance that someone is pulling out of a side dirt road, off the shoulder when they stopped for a few minutes on their own, someone coming the other way decides to make a stupid u-turn or left turn, or even a large animal has run out in front of you.
I do believe I stated this was a two way street, no side roads, no cross streets, no dirt roads, right off the pavement are 45-65* angle ditchs, there no "shoulder" to stop on, nor spot for someone to just hang out, you go in those ditchs you better have a 4x4 to get out.

Ive traveled this road many a time going to an from polk county. Seeing something bright an blurry object from a mere 2m is not really that hard specially when your going at it 176mph and its coming at you roughly 70mph, specially when I can make out buildings and lights from the northside howard franklin to the building to the west of the southend.

Ive gone to multiple sites with brake distance calculators. You know what none of them factor in, weight, type of vehicle, type of tire, kind of brakes your using.

Thirdly, they factor in average reaction time from average people. Im pretty sure I react faster then average. If the person is so far ahead of me, why would it take me so long to just go ahead an start applying the brakes? I dont stress out when danger is in the way, and that tunnel vision is imo. I saw every aspect of what was happening from when the car went out from under me, through a 180 in the street, to hitting the ditch an flying out into the newspaper box right to slamming into the tree.
Not everyone handles stress the same, same as reactions. Maybe you shouldnt bottle everyone up into the average norm group, think outside the box of what someone COULD be capable of and then factor the rest out.

At the end of the day, was doing 176mph stupid?....sure. Did I enjoy it?...yes, did anyone get hurt, no. Whats the problem?...nothing.
Unread 08-03-2009, 10:44 PM   #35
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Hell, I WISH there was a place nearby where I could just push the C5Z to the limits of my wimplash factor legally. I don't care about the quarter mile stuff of running around donut shaped tracks or around orange cones. I would just like to let it all hang out to see how FAST I could go in a safe and legal manner in a straight line, till I feel like letting off of the accelerator.

Now, WHERE can I do something like that?
Unread 08-04-2009, 04:33 AM   #36
floridaZ

Name :
floridaZ has disabled reputation

I just don't see where I said I was invincible? I said that I have done things that you disapprove of, and nothing bad happened most of the time. I didn't talk about the time I was racing and the tire blew and my car flipped. But I haven't gotten anybody killed. Whereas you seem to be trying to cast it like if you ever do it somebody will die.

Now if I pass gas, and somebody in Idaho suffers cardiac arrest, I will completely take responsibility for that. Cause I'm just that awesome (or potent, depending on how you look at it). But otherwise, don't try to demonize my actions because of what could happen.

And I find your stereotype of Bubba offensive. I have met one, and it was a mild, docile creature. A bit anti-social and I don't know how it would act when cornered, but I saw no danger in the specimen I observed.
floridaZ is offline   Reply With Quote