The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Maintenance, Mods, & Tips

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Maintenance, Mods, & Tips Mods | Tips | Repairs & Troubleshooting

Unread 10-06-2019, 12:19 AM   #1
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough
Default Z06 LS7 valve guide issues

Interesting reading.....

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...confirmed.html
Unread 10-15-2019, 01:13 AM   #2
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

There is another interesting observation I had while I had my 2009 Z06. The manual stated that in order to check the oil level via the oil dipstick, you should allow the oil temperature to come to at least 185 degrees F. Well, in my experience, even driving the car for hours on route 75, I could not get the oil temperature to go above 175 degrees. Even when outside air temps were running mid to high 90s. I'm sure things would be different on the track, but for just regular street driving, it seemed to be rather difficult to get the oil temperature up high enough to even check that oil level properly.

So here's the rub. What is the boiling point temperature of water? Yeah, that's right. 212 degrees F. See where I am going with this? Condensation within the crankcase and mixed with the oil will NEVER boil off! The oil will never get hot enough for the water created from condensation within the engine to boil off.

Not only that, but the optimum working temperature of engine oil is roughly 215 to 250 degrees F. So the oil in the LS7 really never gets to that temperature during normal, non race conditions, driving.

Is that a problem? Heck, I dunno. Maybe the dry sump system of the LS7's oil recirculating system makes this a moot point. But I don't think anyone would believe that water in the engine oil for any length of time is a real good idea.