The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > Classifieds and Commercial Sponsors > Board of Inquiry®

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Board of Inquiry® Got a problem with someone you had a dealing with? Can't get it resolved and no other recourse presents itself? Had an especially good transaction with someone? Looking for info on a dealer?

Unread 11-01-2010, 05:21 PM   #191
Someoneyoushouldknow
victim #1

Name : Elizabeth Kelly
Someoneyoushouldknow has disabled reputation

So my Silver car was driven less then 10 miles and now the starter has died in it. So for 2750 I got to drive the car less then 40 miles. If Chris would have put the crate motor in like he said he was going to, a new starter would have been attached, or so I am told. I am beyond pissed. I just want this piece of crap that I have been left with gone. If anyone knows anyone who buys for parts. I would appreciate the info.
Someoneyoushouldknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2010, 05:34 PM   #192
CorvetteJohn
Deceased

Name : John Robinson
CorvetteJohn is on a distinguished road

You might try here

http://www.tabercorvetteparts.com/
CorvetteJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2010, 05:35 PM   #193
Someoneyoushouldknow
victim #1

Name : Elizabeth Kelly
Someoneyoushouldknow has disabled reputation

mine isn"t a corvette, its a Pontiac GTP.
Someoneyoushouldknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2010, 07:40 PM   #194
CorvetteJohn
Deceased

Default oops

I never picked up on that sorry. However you might want to try to search for places like this that specialize in Pontiac GTP salvage. I know you are frustrated and are upset over what has happened to you but why don't you put the starter in and drive the car for a few days before you do anything you may regret later. I know the disappointment of looking forward to something and then it immediatly goes bad when you get it. In 1965 I ordered a COPO Chevy II with a 327 engine, 4 speed trans, positraction, Corvette ceramitallic brakes, with Cheville 15 inch rims. I took delivery of the car went home packed up the family and left for Pittsburg.from Indiana. As you can imagine I had lusted for this car from the time the order went in until it was delivered 6 months later. Just as I got to Pittsburgh the clutch failed and I had to drive shifting without a clutch until I got to my parents house. The next day the dealer found that the shaft from the frame to the clutch had broken. They repaired it and I feared the trip home just waiting for the next thing to go wrong. Well nothing happened except that in Columbus, Oh I cleaned off a Shelby Mustang at a couple of stoplights. From then on all I had was smiles for this car.
Unread 11-01-2010, 07:57 PM   #195
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Liz probably feels like a lot of the rest of us who had unpleasant experiences with Chris. Looking at our cars now doesn't feel anything like it used to. There are bad memories associated with it that might be quite difficult for some of us to shake off. In my opinion, Chris has done a lot of damage to people who enjoyed the pleasure of having and driving their cars, and now put scars on the memory that will come forth just thinking about it. I don't know it the law allows pain and suffering awards for psychological damages such as this, but I think that would need to be explored when appropriate to be addressed.
Unread 11-01-2010, 10:24 PM   #196
CorvetteJohn
Deceased

Default oops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
Liz probably feels like a lot of the rest of us who had unpleasant experiences with Chris. Looking at our cars now doesn't feel anything like it used to. There are bad memories associated with it that might be quite difficult for some of us to shake off. In my opinion, Chris has done a lot of damage to people who enjoyed the pleasure of having and driving their cars, and now put scars on the memory that will come forth just thinking about it. I don't know it the law allows pain and suffering awards for psychological damages such as this, but I think that would need to be explored when appropriate to be addressed.
I agree with you. I was trying to say that maybe with a little time some of the frustration would be replaced by some good times with her car. I am sure you all have been put through the ringer with this individual. I hope in his new job that if he is working on cars his employer keeps a tight fist on him. If it walks like a duck and quackes like a duck it's a duck.
Unread 11-01-2010, 11:18 PM   #197
vetteguy61

Name : Mike Elmore
vetteguy61 has disabled reputation

I have to agree with Rich about my feelings about driving my car when and if it get's finished at the new shop. I have been seriously thinking of unloading it as soon as I can and get a new Z28 camero. The thrill of owning and driving a Corvette has worn off with all the down time at Xtreme Motorsports. Not to mention all the other stuff that happened while it was at the shop in Blounstown.
vetteguy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2010, 12:55 AM   #198
Rich Z

Hell, I will absolutely hate even driving through Blountstown any longer, speaking of bad memories. And the hours of video I have taken over the 11 months the car was in Chris Harwood's shop (you know, every time I type the word "shop" in relation to Chris Harwood, I invariably will type the word "chop" instead. Probably one of the clearest examples of a freudian slip I could ever imagine.) will probably make me puke just to watch any longer.

Heck, the last time I was out at South Georgia Corvette was when I took those dyno videos I posted in my other thread. I enjoy speaking with Aaron and like the atmosphere at his shop, but I just can't handle seeing my car up on the lift. I'm not sure I'll even be able to to my own oil changes to the car on my own lift.
Unread 11-05-2010, 12:21 PM   #199
Rich Z

For anyone reading this thread who feel they have legitimate claims against Chris Harwood for damages they suffered by being a consumer doing business with him, here are some email addresses of the main contact points at the Division of Consumer Services at the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services for the State of Florida:

Bob Buchholz - buchhor1@doacs.state.fl.us
Steven Bradley - bradles1@doacs.state.fl.us
Paul Pagano - paganop@doacs.state.fl.us

I STRONGLY suggest that anyone who feels they have claims against this individual to get in contact with these people IMMEDIATELY and do not just accept being taken advantage of, if in your opinion, that is what has transpired.
Unread 11-05-2010, 12:43 PM   #200
Rich Z

I also strongly suggest anyone to whom this may be pertinent, to review the information on this website -> http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/...entsIndex.html

This is the Consumer Protection chapter (501) of Title XXXIII, REGULATION OF TRADE, COMMERCE, INVESTMENTS, AND SOLICITATIONS from the Florida Statutes.

Here are some of the pertinent and relevant sections of this statute:

Quote:
501.202 Purposes; rules of construction.—The provisions of this part shall be construed liberally to promote the following policies:

(1)To simplify, clarify, and modernize the law governing consumer protection, unfair methods of competition, and unconscionable, deceptive, and unfair trade practices.

(2)To protect the consuming public and legitimate business enterprises from those who engage in unfair methods of competition, or unconscionable, deceptive, or unfair acts or practices in the conduct of any trade or commerce.

(3)To make state consumer protection and enforcement consistent with established policies of federal law relating to consumer protection.

History.—s. 1, ch. 73-124; s. 1, ch. 93-38.
Quote:
501.203 Definitions.—As used in this chapter, unless the context otherwise requires, the term:

(1)“Final judgment” means a judgment, including any supporting opinion, that determines the rights of the parties and concerning which appellate remedies have been exhausted or the time for appeal has expired.

(2)“Enforcing authority” means the office of the state attorney if a violation of this part occurs in or affects the judicial circuit under the office’s jurisdiction. “Enforcing authority” means the Department of Legal Affairs if the violation occurs in or affects more than one judicial circuit or if the office of the state attorney defers to the department in writing, or fails to act upon a violation within 90 days after a written complaint has been filed with the state attorney.

(3)“Violation of this part” means any violation of this act or the rules adopted under this act and may be based upon any of the following as of July 1, 2006:

(a)Any rules promulgated pursuant to the Federal Trade Commission Act, 15 U.S.C. ss. 41 et seq.;

(b)The standards of unfairness and deception set forth and interpreted by the Federal Trade Commission or the federal courts;

(c)Any law, statute, rule, regulation, or ordinance which proscribes unfair methods of competition, or unfair, deceptive, or unconscionable acts or practices.

(4)“Department” means the Department of Legal Affairs.

(5)“Order” means a cease and desist order issued by the enforcing authority as set forth in s. 501.208.

(6)“Interested party or person” means any person affected by a violation of this part or any person affected by an order of the enforcing authority.

(7)“Consumer” means an individual; child, by and through its parent or legal guardian; business; firm; association; joint venture; partnership; estate; trust; business trust; syndicate; fiduciary; corporation; any commercial entity, however denominated; or any other group or combination.

(8)“Trade or commerce” means the advertising, soliciting, providing, offering, or distributing, whether by sale, rental, or otherwise, of any good or service, or any property, whether tangible or intangible, or any other article, commodity, or thing of value, wherever situated. “Trade or commerce” shall include the conduct of any trade or commerce, however denominated, including any nonprofit or not-for-profit person or activity.

(9)“Thing of value” may include, without limitation, any moneys, donation, membership, credential, certificate, prize, award, benefit, license, interest, professional opportunity, or chance of winning.

History.—s. 1, ch. 73-124; s. 1, ch. 79-386; s. 1, ch. 90-190; s. 2, ch. 93-38; s. 24, ch. 97-98; s. 1, ch. 2001-39; s. 22, ch. 2001-214; s. 1, ch. 2006-196.
Quote:
501.204 Unlawful acts and practices.
(1)Unfair methods of competition, unconscionable acts or practices, and unfair or deceptive acts or practices in the conduct of any trade or commerce are hereby declared unlawful.

(2)It is the intent of the Legislature that, in construing subsection (1), due consideration and great weight shall be given to the interpretations of the Federal Trade Commission and the federal courts relating to s. 5(a)(1) of the Federal Trade Commission Act, 15 U.S.C. s. 45(a)(1) as of July 1, 2006.

History.—s. 1, ch. 73-124; s. 1, ch. 83-117; s. 4, ch. 85-63; s. 2, ch. 90-190; s. 3, ch. 93-38; s. 2, ch. 2001-39; s. 23, ch. 2001-214; s. 2, ch. 2006-196.
Quote:
501.206 Investigative powers of enforcing authority.—
(1)If, by his or her own inquiry or as a result of complaints, the enforcing authority has reason to believe that a person has engaged in, or is engaging in, an act or practice that violates this part, he or she may administer oaths and affirmations, subpoena witnesses or matter, and collect evidence. Within 5 days, excluding weekends and legal holidays, after the service of a subpoena or at any time before the return date specified therein, whichever is longer, the party served may file in the circuit court in the county in which he or she resides or in which he or she transacts business and serve upon the enforcing authority a petition for an order modifying or setting aside the subpoena. The petitioner may raise any objection or privilege which would be available under this chapter or upon service of such subpoena in a civil action. The subpoena shall inform the party served of his or her rights under this subsection.

(2)If matter that the enforcing authority seeks to obtain by subpoena is located outside the state, the person subpoenaed may make it available to the enforcing authority or his or her representative to examine the matter at the place where it is located. The enforcing authority may designate representatives, including officials of the state in which the matter is located, to inspect the matter on his or her behalf, and he or she may respond to similar requests from officials of other states.

(3)Upon failure of a person without lawful excuse to obey a subpoena and upon reasonable notice to all persons affected, the enforcing authority may apply to the circuit court for an order compelling compliance.

(4)The enforcing authority may request that an individual who refuses to comply with a subpoena on the ground that testimony or matter may incriminate him or her be ordered by the court to provide the testimony or matter. Except in a prosecution for perjury, an individual who complies with a court order to provide testimony or matter after asserting a privilege against self-incrimination to which he or she is entitled by law shall not have the testimony or matter so provided, or evidence derived therefrom, received against him or her in any criminal investigation or proceeding.

(5)Any person upon whom a subpoena is served pursuant to this section shall comply with the terms thereof unless otherwise provided by order of the court. Any person who fails to appear with the intent to avoid, evade, or prevent compliance in whole or in part with any investigation under this part or who removes from any place, conceals, withholds, mutilates, alters, or destroys, or by any other means falsifies any documentary material in the possession, custody, or control of any person subject to any such subpoena, or knowingly conceals any relevant information with the intent to avoid, evade, or prevent compliance shall be liable for a civil penalty of not more than $5,000, reasonable attorney’s fees, and costs.

History.—s. 1, ch. 73-124; s. 1, ch. 85-3; s. 6, ch. 93-38; s. 628, ch. 97-103.
Quote:
501.207 Remedies of enforcing authority.
(1)The enforcing authority may bring:

(a)An action to obtain a declaratory judgment that an act or practice violates this part.

(b)An action to enjoin any person who has violated, is violating, or is otherwise likely to violate, this part.

(c)An action on behalf of one or more consumers or governmental entities for the actual damages caused by an act or practice in violation of this part. However, damages are not recoverable under this section against a retailer who has in good faith engaged in the dissemination of claims of a manufacturer or wholesaler without actual knowledge that it violated this part.

(2)Before bringing an action under paragraph (1)(a) or paragraph (1)(c), the head of the enforcing authority shall review the matter and determine if an enforcement action serves the public interest. This determination shall be made in writing, but shall not be subject to the provisions of chapter 120.

(3)Upon motion of the enforcing authority or any interested party in any action brought under subsection (1), the court may make appropriate orders, including, but not limited to, appointment of a general or special magistrate or receiver or sequestration or freezing of assets, to reimburse consumers or governmental entities found to have been damaged; to carry out a transaction in accordance with the reasonable expectations of consumers or governmental entities; to strike or limit the application of clauses of contracts to avoid an unconscionable result; to bring actions in the name of and on behalf of the defendant enterprise, without regard to any wrongful acts that were committed by the enterprise; to order any defendant to divest herself or himself of any interest in any enterprise, including real estate; to impose reasonable restrictions upon the future activities of any defendant to impede her or him from engaging in or establishing the same type of endeavor; to order the dissolution or reorganization of any enterprise; or to grant legal, equitable, or other appropriate relief. The court may assess the expenses of a general or special magistrate or receiver against a person who has violated, is violating, or is otherwise likely to violate this part. Any injunctive order, whether temporary or permanent, issued by the court shall be effective throughout the state unless otherwise provided in the order.

(4)If a violator shows that a violation of this part resulted from a bona fide error notwithstanding the maintenance of procedures reasonably adapted to avoid the error, recovery under this section is limited to the amount, if any, by which the violator was unjustly enriched by the violation.

(5)No action may be brought by the enforcing authority under this section more than 4 years after the occurrence of a violation of this part or more than 2 years after the last payment in a transaction involved in a violation of this part, whichever is later.

(6)The enforcing authority may terminate an investigation or an action upon acceptance of a person’s written assurance of voluntary compliance with this part. Acceptance of an assurance may be conditioned on a commitment to reimburse consumers or governmental entities, make contributions, pay civil penalties, pay attorney’s fees and costs, or take other appropriate corrective action. An assurance is not evidence of a prior violation of this part. However, unless an assurance has been rescinded by agreement of the parties or voided by a court for good cause, subsequent failure to comply with the terms of an assurance is prima facie evidence of a violation of this part. Such assurance is not a limitation upon any action or remedy available to a person aggrieved by a violation of this part.

(7)In any trial or other proceeding brought by the enforcing authority pursuant to this part, statements having circumstantial guarantees of trustworthiness may be used to supplement and explain other evidence and shall not be excluded as hearsay evidence, even though the declarant is available as a witness, if the trier of fact determines that:

(a)The statement is offered as evidence of a material fact;

(b)The statement is more probative on the point for which it is offered than any other evidence which the proponent can procure through reasonable efforts; and

(c)The general purpose of the Florida Rules of Evidence and the interests of justice will be best served by the admission of such statement into evidence.

However, a statement may not be admitted hereunder unless the proponent of it makes known to the adverse party, sufficiently in advance of the trial or proceeding to provide the adverse party with a fair opportunity to prepare to meet it, the proponent’s intention to offer the statement and the particulars of it, including the name and address of the declarant.

History.—s. 1, ch. 73-124; s. 3, ch. 79-386; s. 2, ch. 85-3; s. 4, ch. 90-190; s. 4, ch. 92-133; s. 8, ch. 93-38; s. 629, ch. 97-103; s. 3, ch. 2001-39; s. 24, ch. 2001-214; s. 89, ch. 2004-11; s. 3, ch. 2006-196.
Quote:
501.2075 Civil penalty.
Except as provided in s. 501.2077, any person, firm, corporation, association, or entity, or any agent or employee of the foregoing, who is willfully using, or has willfully used, a method, act, or practice declared unlawful under s. 501.204, or who is willfully violating any of the rules of the department adopted under this part, is liable for a civil penalty of not more than $10,000 for each such violation. Willful violations occur when the person knew or should have known that his or her conduct was unfair or deceptive or prohibited by rule. This civil penalty may be recovered in any action brought under this part by the enforcing authority; or the enforcing authority may terminate any investigation or action upon agreement by the person, firm, corporation, association, or entity, or the agent or employee of the foregoing, to pay a stipulated civil penalty. The department or the court may waive any such civil penalty if the person, firm, corporation, association, or entity, or the agent or employee of the foregoing, has previously made full restitution or reimbursement or has paid actual damages to the consumers or governmental entities who have been injured by the unlawful act or practice or rule violation. If civil penalties are assessed in any litigation, the enforcing authority is entitled to reasonable attorney’s fees and costs. A civil penalty so collected shall accrue to the state and shall be deposited as received into the General Revenue Fund unallocated.

History.—s. 3, ch. 83-117; s. 1, ch. 92-40; s. 5, ch. 92-133; s. 9, ch. 93-38; s. 630, ch. 97-103; s. 4, ch. 2001-39; s. 25, ch. 2001-214.
Quote:
501.2077 Violations involving senior citizen or handicapped person; civil penalties; presumption.
(1)As used in this section:

(a)“Senior citizen” means a person who is 60 years of age or older.

(b)“Handicapped person” means any person who has a mental or educational impairment which substantially limits one or more major life activities.

(c)“Mental or educational impairment” means:

1.Any mental or psychological disorder or specific learning disability.

2.Any educational deficiency which substantially affects a person’s ability to read and comprehend the terms of any contractual agreement entered into.

(d)“Major life activities” means functions associated with the normal activities of independent daily living such as caring for one’s self, performing manual tasks, walking, seeing, hearing, speaking, breathing, learning, and working.

(2)Any person who is willfully using, or has willfully used, a method, act, or practice in violation of this part, which method, act, or practice victimizes or attempts to victimize senior citizens or handicapped persons, and commits such violation when she or he knew or should have known that her or his conduct was unfair or deceptive, is liable for a civil penalty of not more than $15,000 for each such violation.

(3)Any order of restitution or reimbursement based on a violation of this part committed against a senior citizen or handicapped person has priority over the imposition of civil penalties for such violations pursuant to this section.

(4)Civil penalties collected pursuant to this section shall be deposited into the Legal Affairs Revolving Trust Fund of the Department of Legal Affairs and allocated solely to the Department of Legal Affairs for the purpose of preparing and distributing consumer education materials, programs, and seminars to benefit senior citizens and handicapped persons or to further enforcement efforts.

History.—s. 2, ch. 92-40; s. 10, ch. 93-38; s. 631, ch. 97-103; s. 6, ch. 2003-179.
Quote:
501.2105 Attorney’s fees.
(1)In any civil litigation resulting from an act or practice involving a violation of this part, except as provided in subsection (5), the prevailing party, after judgment in the trial court and exhaustion of all appeals, if any, may receive his or her reasonable attorney’s fees and costs from the nonprevailing party.

(2)The attorney for the prevailing party shall submit a sworn affidavit of his or her time spent on the case and his or her costs incurred for all the motions, hearings, and appeals to the trial judge who presided over the civil case.

(3)The trial judge may award the prevailing party the sum of reasonable costs incurred in the action plus a reasonable legal fee for the hours actually spent on the case as sworn to in an affidavit.

(4)Any award of attorney’s fees or costs shall become a part of the judgment and subject to execution as the law allows.

(5)In any civil litigation initiated by the enforcing authority, the court may award to the prevailing party reasonable attorney’s fees and costs if the court finds that there was a complete absence of a justiciable issue of either law or fact raised by the losing party or if the court finds bad faith on the part of the losing party.

(6)In any administrative proceeding or other nonjudicial action initiated by an enforcing authority, the attorney for the enforcing authority may certify by sworn affidavit the number of hours and the cost thereof to the enforcing authority for the time spent in the investigation and litigation of the case plus costs reasonably incurred in the action. Payment to the enforcing authority of the sum of such costs may be made by stipulation of the parties a part of the final order or decree disposing of the matter. The affidavit shall be attached to and become a part of such order or decree.

History.—s. 1, ch. 73-124; s. 5, ch. 79-386; s. 11, ch. 93-38; s. 4, ch. 94-298; s. 632, ch. 97-103.

Note.—Former s. 501.210.
Quote:
501.211 Other individual remedies.
(1)Without regard to any other remedy or relief to which a person is entitled, anyone aggrieved by a violation of this part may bring an action to obtain a declaratory judgment that an act or practice violates this part and to enjoin a person who has violated, is violating, or is otherwise likely to violate this part.

(2)In any action brought by a person who has suffered a loss as a result of a violation of this part, such person may recover actual damages, plus attorney’s fees and court costs as provided in s. 501.2105. However, damages, fees, or costs are not recoverable under this section against a retailer who has, in good faith, engaged in the dissemination of claims of a manufacturer or wholesaler without actual knowledge that it violated this part.

(3)In any action brought under this section, upon motion of the party against whom such action is filed alleging that the action is frivolous, without legal or factual merit, or brought for the purpose of harassment, the court may, after hearing evidence as to the necessity therefor, require the party instituting the action to post a bond in the amount which the court finds reasonable to indemnify the defendant for any damages incurred, including reasonable attorney’s fees. This subsection shall not apply to any action initiated by the enforcing authority.

History.—s. 1, ch. 73-124; s. 37, ch. 91-220; s. 12, ch. 93-38; s. 6, ch. 2001-39; s. 27, ch. 2001-214.