The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > The Lobby > General BS forum

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

General BS forum I guess this will be for anything that would seem to be off topic in any other forum here. Just general shootin' the breeze kind of topics.

Unread 08-20-2017, 10:08 AM   #1
CHASZ51
Z51

Name :
CHASZ51 is on a distinguished road
Default New Sony 65" OLED

Picked up a used , but never out of the box 65" Sony A1E OLED from a C6 owner on CL. Really is a jump from my 60vt60 plasma.
CHASZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2017, 11:02 AM   #2
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

I stopped unplugging my 55 inch plasma during thunderstorms. I figure if it gets zapped, that will the the sign that it is time to move up to a 4K screen.

But I'm in no real hurry. Some of those larger screens are still carrying pretty ridiculous price tags on them.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-77...?skuId=5770942
Unread 08-20-2017, 11:14 AM   #3
Cor66Vette

Name :
Cor66Vette has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post

But I'm in no real hurry. Some of those larger screens are still carrying pretty ridiculous price tags on them.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-77...?skuId=5770942
Yeah, but it's on sale and you get free delivery.
Cor66Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2017, 12:44 PM   #4
CHASZ51
Z51

Name :

Well if anyone wants a perfect 60vt60 Panny plasma with around 3000 hours i am selling it cheap.
Unread 09-15-2017, 03:27 AM   #5
ShaneJake

Name : John Hendry
ShaneJake is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Some of those larger screens are still carrying pretty ridiculous price tags on them.
You're not wrong, man. HD or not, these T.V.s are way overpriced sometimes.
ShaneJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2017, 04:06 AM   #6
Rich Z

I'm thinking that something along the lines of multiple VR or AR goggles that can receive from a single common transmitter might wind up being the future for home theater systems. Depends on cost effectiveness, I guess. But would be damned immersive if done right.

I'm hoping I live long enough to see those technologies reach their full potential.
Unread 09-15-2017, 11:13 PM   #7
ShaneJake

I don't know about these VR goggles, I tried them once, felt very dizzy after. I think they may need to optimize it a bit, especially for people who feel nauseated after putting one on. Though yeah, it's really exciting to see these innovations reach their full potential.
Unread 09-16-2017, 02:43 AM   #8
Rich Z

I think that a lot of the nausea associated with VR is the disconnect between the motions you initiate and the slight delay before you SEE the motion take place. I guess the brain doesn't know how to cope with that and just decides that something is wrong. So likely the best way for the brain to deal with a body that is not responding correctly in relation to what the brain is telling it to do is to try to force it to slow down or even shut down. So it makes you feel dizzy. Disorient the brain enough and it can even cause you to tip over and pass out. Full shut down.

I have yet to experience nausea or dizziness using VR here at home because I've got a PC that is beefy enough to keep lag from taking place. Except in cases where nausea is a natural result of something that in real life would make me feel that way regardless. Like zipping along in a roller coaster ride or being someplace at dizzying (literally) heights.

And I think it helps to FORCE yourself to be immersed in the environment that VR is putting you. You have to forget that you are not really there, and that your body is really at the place you see, and doing what you see it doing.

One of the interesting side effects of VR is that people sometimes get disoriented about what is real and what is not. I would imagine that the better the rendition of alternate reality becomes with advances in technology, the more difficult it may become for people to pull themselves out of a world that they find much more interesting and pleasing than the dull reality they are really living in. Imagine being in a generated reality that you are basically as powerful as a god and can do pretty much anything and everything you wish to do. Would you really want to return from that to go to your job flipping burgers at Burger King? I'm sure this will be a BIG problem with impressionable minds. If you have never seen the movie called "Avatar", this really shows what I am talking about and where VR could be headed. Except the VR "reality" would all be manufactured and in such detail that you could not tell it wasn't real.

Heck, some 2D games I play can be extremely immersive as it is, without even being virtual as a perceived reality. Perspectives and interactions with the programmed environment can be REALLY good and basically suck you in to where you can experience things such as the fear of falling, or react to what would be the physical G-force pulls of driving recklessly.
Unread 09-16-2017, 12:53 PM   #9
CHASZ51
Z51

Name :

Bedroom setup.
Unread 09-18-2017, 04:07 AM   #10
ShaneJake

Quote:
I think that a lot of the nausea associated with VR is the disconnect between the motions you initiate and the slight delay before you SEE the motion take place...And I think it helps to FORCE yourself to be immersed in the environment that VR is putting you. You have to forget that you are not really there, and that your body is really at the place you see, and doing what you see it doing.
Hmm, good point, man. I guess it really does take a bit of getting used to or even practice. It's fantastic, nonetheless.