The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Maintenance, Mods, & Tips

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Maintenance, Mods, & Tips Mods | Tips | Repairs & Troubleshooting

Unread 04-24-2006, 12:42 PM   #1
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough
Default Personal tuning options?

Well this is another topic that has been driving me batty lately. I really want to do a tune on my Z after getting the headers and other stuff, but not sure about which option would be best. A lot of people like the dyno tunes, but heck, as far as I know, there is no one within 2 or 3 hours of here to do that for me. And do I really want a WOT tune? I am more interested in seat of the pants oomph with normal street driving, so I'm not sure a dyno tune is really for me. Plus it would cost me $700, and for that kind of money, well I could BUY my own tuning software or handheld. And here is where I stumble.

My vette tech at the Chevy dealership really seems to like the Diablo Predator. And I have heard good things about the Vinci handheld as well. But on the other hand, some people will say they are rather limited and I should go for HPTuners of EFILive for a more full featured PC based program. But both of them are on the verge of an upgrade, so it wouldn't make sense to buy the product now and then have to pay for an upgrade in a month, when I would get the upgraded product by just waiting a bit longer. But do I want to have to lug my laptop out to the Z for this stuff? So then I start going back to thinking about the Diablo or Vinci.

I don't know. It just doesn't seem like the perfect product is out there yet. What I guess I want is a handheld like the Diablo that I can cart out to the Z to do the programming and scanning and data collection. Cart it back to the PC to do the voodoo experimental tinkering, dump that to the handheld, and then take the handheld out to plug into the Z to see how it does. I think Diablo does have something like this, but the PC based program appears to only be available to distributors so they can program the Diablos they sell.

Darn, this makes my head hurt. I feel that no matter what I choose to buy, I'm going to regret it and wish I had gone the other route. But I guess I can just hold off and learn more. The Z runs just fine now, so there is no pressing reason to rush into things. And maybe that perfect solution is just over the horizon.
Rich Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2006, 06:12 PM   #2
SteveGel

Name :
SteveGel has disabled reputation

FRC Tom from Z06vette.com i heard he is the man, he is located in Tampa. He's going to be at the Z06 Fest in July. I email him a few times for a tune when my hearders are install this week or the next or ask IV0.
SteveGel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2006, 12:21 AM   #3
gsjack

Name :
gsjack is on a distinguished road

FRC TOM did my tune, he is the the man when it comes to tweaking the puter.

Jack

04 Z06 Z16(SOLD)
gsjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2006, 12:53 AM   #4
Rich Z

I hear ya, but that is a pretty long drive from Tallahassee........ Does he make house calls?
Unread 04-26-2006, 01:52 AM   #5
exile

Name :
exile is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsjack
FRC TOM did my tune, he is the the man when it comes to tweaking the puter.

Jack
I'm only an hour from Tampa and I want to do this. How much does FRCTOM's tune set you back. Any ideas?
Unread 04-26-2006, 10:09 AM   #6
MADN3SS

Name :
MADN3SS is on a distinguished road

FRCTOM did my tune as well....and he is the man! Rich, I believe Tom has done mail order tunes before. Not sure how it works though. Don't remember how much it was for the tune, I did a bunch of stuff that day. Column lock bypass, intake install, lowered the car and some dyno pulls. Greg at AntiVenom did the work, Tom did the tune. I will be doing another tune after my header install in a few weeks.

Scott

'01 QS Corsa Touring exhaust with Tiger Shark tips. LG LT headers with X-Pipe, Hurricane intake w/ CF HF Power Duct, L.E.D. tail lights and shorty antenna. Lowered on stock bolts. Black Motorsports. FRC TOM tuned. NCM member 36741
MADN3SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2006, 12:07 PM   #7
Rich Z

The only problem with that mail order tune option is that from what I understand, I need to pull out my PCM and send it to them. They then program it, and then send it back to me. I am just not real comfortable with taking the brain out of my car and entrusting it to UPS.

Personally, I guess I also have my doubts of the worthiness of a mail order tune anyway. Since it cannot be customized exactly to my vehicle, and is instead a rather generic tune based on the tuners experience with the type vehicle with particular mods done to it, I dunno, it just seems like it may not be the best option for me. But heck, this opinion is subject to change without notice, I guess. Still in "learning mode" about this entire topic....
Unread 04-26-2006, 01:03 PM   #8
MADN3SS

Name :
MADN3SS is on a distinguished road

I don't know that I would feel comfortable either. Honestly, I think it would be well worth the drive. Could always come down and have the first Corvette Florida get together. About a 270 mile drive. Average 70 and you could make it in about 4 hours!

'01 QS Corsa Touring exhaust with Tiger Shark tips. LG LT headers with X-Pipe, Hurricane intake w/ CF HF Power Duct, L.E.D. tail lights and shorty antenna. Lowered on stock bolts. Black Motorsports. FRC TOM tuned. NCM member 36741
MADN3SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2006, 01:25 PM   #9
Rich Z

Well maybe. But this is the busy time of year for me with the critters. I will get a break between egg laying and egg hatching in late may and into June it looks like, so that's a possibility. Once the eggs start hatching in early July, my outside life is over with until late October.

But I am still thinking hard about a handheld or laptop based tuning solution. So at this point I really don't know which way I will bounce.
Unread 04-27-2006, 12:08 AM   #10
gsjack

Name :
gsjack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by exile
I'm only an hour from Tampa and I want to do this. How much does FRCTOM's tune set you back. Any ideas?
I can PM you Tom's # if you want to talk to him about a price for a tune. Really don't want to get into Tom or Greg's pricing, they set it.

Jack

04 Z06 Z16(SOLD)
gsjack is offline   Reply With Quote