The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Maintenance, Mods, & Tips

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Maintenance, Mods, & Tips Mods | Tips | Repairs & Troubleshooting

Unread 04-24-2006, 01:57 PM   #11
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

No. The Jet Hot COATING cost me $550. The complete system (headers, cats, X-pipe) was $1745. And I had to pay for the Jet Hot coating on top of that. These were the Long Tube Pro headers, not the street models. I specifically wanted the 3 inch pipes from the header collectors back to the muffler pipes.

Sorry about any confusion I might have caused. Yeah, I WISH I could have gotten that whole setup for $550!
Rich Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2006, 01:20 PM   #12
MADN3SS

Name :
MADN3SS is on a distinguished road

Rich, I spoke to Anthony and ordered the LG LT headers with high flow cats. He actually recommended that I don't do the Jet hot coating? As for the starter, he said they use a stock starter in their race car and haven't had any problems with the heat generated from the headers. The Jet hot coating has more of a polished look, but I really don't need that. He also said I probably wouldn't need new O2 sensors, but I should move the back sensors to the front and plug the others off? I also purchased an LS1 gasket, as per Anthony. They've already shipped as of yesterday. I still haven't decided if I'm going to put on the cats or not, probably will.

Ivo suggested while the exhaust is off, I should add a tunnel reinforcement plate. I went with this. 1/4" Aluminum Ceramic Coated plate, If console heat is an issue, this plate is Ceramic Coated to reduce the amount of heat transfer from the exhaust. From www.eliteengineeringusa.com for 185.00 shipped.

'01 QS Corsa Touring exhaust with Tiger Shark tips. LG LT headers with X-Pipe, Hurricane intake w/ CF HF Power Duct, L.E.D. tail lights and shorty antenna. Lowered on stock bolts. Black Motorsports. FRC TOM tuned. NCM member 36741
MADN3SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2006, 01:39 PM   #13
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

I guess I just felt more comfortable with the Jet Hot coating to help reduce the heat. Heat just seems bad for most things. And here in Florida, we do get our share of just regular everyday heat.

Personally I don't think I would compare the longevity of a starter on a daily driver with the one in a race car. How many times a year will a car dedicated for racing actually use the starter compared to how you drive your car? And driving in traffic with the attendant heat build up will be a whole lot different from driving 175 miles per hour around a track, I would think. Heck, air flow alone would have quite a cooling effect. But creeping along at 15 miles per hour in rush hour will have a heck of a heat build up under the car. Especially in the dead of summer when the asphalt itself is probably hot enough to cook eggs on.

So will it really make a difference? Heck I really don't know. But I did know that this was a one shot deal for me. If I hadn't gotten the coating and wished I had later, there was NO WAY I was going to pull the headers off to have them sent off to be coated after the fact. So I felt that of the two possible mistakes I could make, getting them coated and not really needing it would have been the less painful of the two. If you know what I mean.......

I also looked at one of those tunnel plates, but it looked like there were a gazillion bolts holding it in. Probably would have cost me an additional hour or two of tech time just putting it in. At the time, I thought the cats were being coated as well, so I didn't think it would be worthwhile. Had I known the cats WOULDN'T be coated, well, I would have reconsidered it.

Putting the cats on would probably be best, I think. I don't think the ones with the system are THAT restrictive to make much of a difference. And I have heard some people didn't like the smell from the exhaust without the cats. Probably wouldn't matter to most of us, but who knows?
Rich Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2006, 02:50 PM   #14
MADN3SS

Name :

That's the beauty of my job, I work nights. I'm hardly ever out during the day. No rush hour for me!

'01 QS Corsa Touring exhaust with Tiger Shark tips. LG LT headers with X-Pipe, Hurricane intake w/ CF HF Power Duct, L.E.D. tail lights and shorty antenna. Lowered on stock bolts. Black Motorsports. FRC TOM tuned. NCM member 36741
Unread 04-27-2006, 12:03 AM   #15
gsjack

Name :
gsjack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADN3SS
That's the beauty of my job, I work nights. I'm hardly ever out during the day. No rush hour for me!
If you call the Post Office work...

Jack

04 Z06 Z16(SOLD)
gsjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2006, 09:15 AM   #16
MADN3SS

Name :

I'm not a Postal worker....I'm a Postal employee!

Unread 04-27-2006, 02:17 PM   #17
gsjack

Name :
gsjack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADN3SS
I'm not a Postal worker....I'm a Postal employee!
Glad you corrected me Scott, i forgot. I always tell my Nephew, you going to the Post Office tomorrow, instead of going to work. I call it Club USPS, he disagrees. As he mentions the 6 weeks vacation, about the same in sick days, holidays. He goes to the Post Office less than me, and i'm retired.
Don't work too hard buddy...

Jack

04 Z06 Z16(SOLD)
gsjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2006, 02:56 PM   #18
MADN3SS

Name :

I would actually consider myself the very rare Postal worker. In the department I work, it's one of the most physical jobs, so you really do work. It's the guys and gals that throw one piece of mail at a time that really don't work all that hard. There are a few exceptions. I've worn a pedometer before, and on average I walk 10 to 15 miles a night. I usually average 60 miles in a 5 day week. I haven't worked 5 day weeks in a while though! Then factor in all the lifting and bending and repetive motions.....wait a minute, that didn't sound good. Bending and repetitive motions! Anyway, tough job.

Benefits for me, 20 vacation days a year, 13 sick days and 10 holidays. If I work the 10 holidays, I can either get double time, or I can get a vacation day in lieu of the holiday pay, plus my regular work pay. I've been there 8 years. Once you are there 13 years, you get an extra 5 days of vacation. If you were in the military, you add those years to your time at the Post office and you can hit 13 a lot easier. Plus the pay is decent. Yet some still complain. Oh yeah, in most jobs, you lose your sick leave if you don't use it, at the P.O. it rolls and rolls. There is a guy that's been there 35 years and has something like 3700 hours of sick leave. That's almost 2 years of work he can take off!

Scott