The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Maintenance, Mods, & Tips

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Maintenance, Mods, & Tips Mods | Tips | Repairs & Troubleshooting

Unread 10-16-2011, 08:38 PM   #1001
85vette

Name :
85vette will become famous soon enough

Rich, have you thought of finding another LS6 and putting it in there and just selling the 427? I know you're going to lose money, but I'm sure you could find a buyer. I know you enjoyed driving the C5 back when you had the STS turbos on it. I'm contemplating putting some on my CTS V.
Unread 10-16-2011, 08:59 PM   #1002
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

I can't really say that the issue is solely the engine. If I had to take a stab at a guess about what is going on, I would have to say that I think the car has just become haunted by the touch of Harwood. In effect, it seems like the car has been turned into one of those "lemons" that we all hear about someone else getting when they buy a new car.

Heck the engine was actually built by LME using top of the line parts, so if anything, it should be the one solid thing in all this mess. Aaron is just fighting gremlins now, and it appears that a new one crops up just as fast as he stomps out the old one. I believe that there is not going to be anything that Aaron will be able to claim about a Corvette that "he has never seen happen before"...
Unread 10-17-2011, 06:01 PM   #1003
RevXtreme 1
www.revxtreme.com

Name : Tracy Lewis
RevXtreme 1 has disabled reputation

[quote=Benjamin;146575]Aaron is FAR from that. he has built MANY boosted cars, and they are running and driving on the road still today. Then he should have had this running and finished in 3-4 weeks max, not a year.

remember that the motor will never be ran 100% of the time on boost. therefore the natural vacuum from the intake will evacuate the super duper bad stuff that can harm the motor only if the oil isn't changed but every 10K+ miles.

if this was a drag race or road race only car then the kit you have would be a must but on a car that cruising should be in and out of boost allowing the natural vacuum to evacuate the crankcase is perfectly acceptable IMHO. I am an average tech and have built MANY boosted motors to understand proper crankcase evacuation.If you read, he has defeated ALL of the evac so there is no vacuum evacuation or you would be correct. He is just venting excess crankcase pressure into a breathered overflow can (Moroso style) so there is zero evacuation. The system I describe is for street use only. Track cars need a much more robust system than the system I reccomend. Nothing beats a belt driven vac pump system with proper relief valve.

On your experiance, why haven't you stepped in and offered to show them or help them finish it? I'm sure with your experiance and certifications you could have it done correctly in a few days. I don't know you so I can't judge your true abilities so I can only assume you have enough FI and tuning experiance to quickly solve the issues and get Rich on the road to enjoying this beauty.

Here is a brief rundown on my qualifications:

Over 35 years building race & performance engines with super charging FI in the late 60's and turbo charging since the mid 70's (lots of burnt pistons in the old days of no wide-bands, etc.).

Graduate of the Reher Morrison pro Stock Racing Engine school.

Hold (either one of my race teams or myself personally) multiple Divisional, National, and World Championships in several classes both NHRA & IHRA. ( 2nd ever in history to win a NHRA Wally in an all Corvette class).

Have 29 unique performance industry products I have personally developed and have brought to market. Several cutting edge with industry recognition in National publications/media.

And we just won the NMCA EFI class World Championshipfor the 2nd year in a row weekend before last at Indy, and are currently #1 in the World in NHRA Super Gas and Super Stock as of this past weekend in AZ.

I am not here to fight with you and I'm sure the shop has done some excellent builds in the past, but read back through the issues one after another. Very few make sense at all and if you are that experianced in these type of builds you already know this. Especially the Jessel issue.

I am not perfect at all and still make mistakes...but this is apparent that the build is over their heads IMHO and they don't want to admit it. I have never seen a competent shop with this type of build experiance take a year (more or less) and have excuse after excuse why it isn't finished. Granted, Chris made a mess of all taking this on when it was way above his abilities, but this entire build could have been done over and over again in this time.

We have done similar in a week or less when a deadline had to be met with very few (if any) issues. Take the 2010 Camaro twin turbo build "Gretchen" or the current Whiteside Customs SEMA feature car. We di what Jay Leno's shop was unable to do in only 6 days! And the customer drove it 1000 trouble free miles home....and it was a first, never before done build at the time. Rich's is a not to uncommon build and the engine was built by one of the more respected builders of LS based FI motors.

So, in closing, lets not make this a pissing match. Rich has been through more than enough and to prolong in any further just to "stick up for and defend" someone you are friends with helps no one at this point. Lets get the car finished, and finished right by a shop/tech that does have the extensive experiance with these type of builds....and there are others that can step in and finish this besides myself.

Unread 10-17-2011, 07:57 PM   #1004
85vette

Name :
85vette will become famous soon enough

A year does sound a bit extreme, even given that it was basically a basket case when he got it.
Unread 10-17-2011, 08:25 PM   #1005
Rich Z

Well, I have to look at this from Aaron's perspective, too.

Quite honestly, if he were charging me time and materials on this job, not only would he have owned the car LONG ago, he would have had to stop working on it and scrap the thing, because we would be losing money hand over fist on it.

So my presumption is that he is necessarily giving priority to the money making jobs he has come in, and working on my car inbetween those jobs to keep from having the above scenario take place. I think that if that were to happen, it would be quite a black eye to him, all things considered. So he is doing this to HELP me out of a real jam I am in after Harwood had his way with me and my car.

Another extenuating circumstance is that Jim Smith is not local, so there is a lot of down time between visits when Jim can work on my car. Necessarily, he certainly does not come up to Aaron's unless there is other work pending there to make it worth his while. His bill on a time and materials basis could be monstrous as well. I'm sure both Jim and Aaron don't want to be in a position where they couldn't get a customer's car running without charging him so much that they had to take that car away from him. That would look bad in anyone's book, in my opinion. So right now I believe they are just trying to keep from being frustrated to death by my car, and sticking it out hoping for that "hero" moment when it is finally finished.

That being said, I asked Aaron that if the time comes that they just flat out give up on my car, to at least have it in the position where I can drive it home to sell it or trade it in.

Last edited by Rich Z; 10-17-2011 at 08:26 PM.
Rich Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2011, 08:39 PM   #1006
Benjamin

Name : BENJAMIN LONG SR.
Benjamin is on a distinguished road

Tracy, I'm not going to argue with you. Remember you are ASSuming what Aaron is trying to accomplish. Until you are there or Rich is there taking pictures and HD video of Aaron assembling the evac system only 1 person knows what is being done and he isn't here to defend himself. Just because he has a can that came with a filter on it dosen't mean that he isn't going to plumb it back to the turbo intake and use check valves on the intake manifold to make it work "your way"....

I would step in and help but Aaron is his own man, he does his own thing. He dosen't come running to me to help me do my daily job, so why should I insult him and go tell him how he should do his daily job that he has 20+ years of experience with? He respects me enough to let me do my job and I respect him enough to let him do his job. I stepped up and helped and got the turbo and piping ceramic coated. If Aaron had the equipment and know how to do ceramic coating I wouldn't have offered to help him by coating the parts for them.

Now, how would you feel if this car was dumped into your hands and the tables were turned with all of these issues happening while in your shop, under your expertise? Would you appreciate Aaron coming on here saying you didn't have a clue what you are doing, that your tuner was incompetent, and that you are over your head in taking on a job blindly that some hack job blindly went through and cobbled together something that was WAY over his advertised competency level?

Does it make you feel more badass to go through life and badmouth all the people who try to make a difference and help someone knowing they will be climbing a slippery slope? It is funny that you talk bad about Aaron yet in the beginning nothing bad was said by you about Chris..... He should have finished it in 3-4 weeks but he didn't.....

Last edited by Benjamin; 10-17-2011 at 08:41 PM.
Benjamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2011, 09:04 PM   #1007
Rich Z

Gentlemen, please.....

This car has already been the center of quite enough headaches, so I do not want it to be the catalyst that triggers animosity between participants within this thread.

I believe Aaron will get the car finished unless he keels over with a brain embolism first. I have faith in his abilities and respect for him not throwing in the towel on a job that has to be draining to him and Jim.

I've been on top of all the issues that have cropped up, and not once can I say that I believe there was any fault of Aaron's nor Jim's in the problems that have been documented in this thread.

Sometimes, sh!t just happens, and everyone hates being the one standing underneath when the dump takes place.
Unread 10-21-2011, 05:22 AM   #1008
CorvetteJohn
Deceased

Name : John Robinson
CorvetteJohn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
Gentlemen, please.....

Sometimes, sh!t just happens, and everyone hates being the one standing underneath when the dump takes place.
I agree but why does it have to be an elephant your standing under? Having followed this for over a year I also agree that trying to resurrect a basket case is hard enough if it were all stock. Aaron has been working on a one of a kind basket case that had a somewhat dishonest first contributor. This is a very sophisticated car and demands the patience and time to get it right. My instincts tell me that you and Aaron are both very precise people who's work ethic is not to do things half A----. There will be a time soon when it will be done and all the pain and frustration of the inherited problems will be behind you. Do not let the previous shops incompetence that started this saga cloud the fact that you have been given the white flag and need to just make the final lap to the checkered flag. After you drive the first 10 miles that will start to fade into the past and the grin on your face will be the future of this car.

Last edited by CorvetteJohn; 10-21-2011 at 05:25 AM.
CorvetteJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2011, 08:27 PM   #1009
Rich Z

I dunno... Going to take a LOT more than 10 miles of driving before I will trust that sucker to not break something else. Matter of fact, I'm not planning on going more than 100 miles away from home with it for quite a while. I believe that is the limit on my AAA membership for free towing. Heck, I'm going to be on pins and needles just driving it home from Aaron's (if and when that happens). But at least Connie will be driving her truck behind me, just in case. Maybe that will be the plan for at least the first month as a "peace of mind" precaution anyway.
Unread 10-24-2011, 11:38 AM   #1010
Rich Z

Well, I'm not sure how to take this.....

Just got off the phone with Aaron and he says my car is finished. Running great, just a little stumble at low rpms in 6th gear when it is cold, which will likely work itself out over time. He is going to clean the car up and straighten out little odds and ends cosmetically before I can pick it up, but looks like by the end of the week I should be driving it back home. Apparently Jim was up there over the weekend and they worked on it all through the weekend to wrap this up.

Seriously, I don't know how to take this. I'm so used to getting bad news all of the time, that I feel like I'm waiting for that other shoe to drop. I would have thought I would feel happy, relieved, or something, but I just feel pretty much nothing, emotionally about it now.

Maybe that will change when I'm driving it home.

Of course I do expect a few gremlins to show up here and there, so hopefully Aaron won't bar the gate once the car leaves his driveway. I'm sure he's quite reasonably darn tired of seeing my car by now.

So, I guess GOOD NEWS, finally, without any strings attached.

Oh yeah, I guess there is a string attached. Wonder how big of a sock to the jaw that finally bill is going to be?

Tags
427, aaron scott, chris harwood, rhs block, south georgia corvette, xtrememotorsports