The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Maintenance, Mods, & Tips

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Maintenance, Mods, & Tips Mods | Tips | Repairs & Troubleshooting

Unread 07-05-2016, 01:23 AM   #1
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough
Question Trying to zero in on the C5Z drivetrain noise

Been dealing with an intermittent drivetrain noise on my C5Z for a long time, so decided to make an effort to try to figure out what is going on. Been told it is clutch noise (Centerforce clutch) by several people I have described the symptoms to, but I would like to be more certain about this. To my untrained ear it just sounds like some sort of bearing noise. But I guess a lot of things can sound similar.

The noise shows up when I am at a dead stop and let the clutch pedal out slowly. When apparently the clutch pressure plate clamps the clutch disk against the flywheel, that is when I hear a squealing/chattering noise. So first off I set up a remote microphone underneath the bell housing and recorded the video such that I could see when I was letting the clutch out and coincide that with the noise.

Then I used a Steelman Wireless ChassisEar kit by putting remote pickups in 4 different places. I noticed then that there is a pretty constant whine from the clutch area that I just thought was the oil return pump for my rear mounted turbos. I'm thinking it may be those weights on the Centerforce clutch fingers making a chattering noise. I don't know, maybe it's related to the clutch engagement noise I am hearing. Anyway, I think it may really be the clutch making the noise, but if anyone has any input about other opinions, please let me know. If it is just the nature of the beast with the Centerforce clutches, and it's not destructive to anything else, I think I will just live with the noise for a while longer, but plan on changing out that clutch sometime in the future. It's not really an easy job, so I'm going to put it off as long as I can.

So anyway I worked up a video that pretty adequately recorded the noises I have been hearing, because sometimes I just need to listen to something several times with different ideas running through my head to consider. New perspectives bring new ideas. Thing is, I know sooner or later I'm going to be pulling the drivetrain out, but I REALLY would like to pretty much know what it is I need to fix or replace before I do that. I sure as heck don't want to try the shotgun approach at fixing this, and maybe have to do the job several times before I get it right.

I'll likely have the C5Z on the lift for another day or three. If anyone has any ideas on what I could put an ear to in order to positively identify the source of the noise, please let me know.

Yeah, the video is 8 minutes long. I figured I would rather have too much evidence than not enough.
Unread 03-22-2019, 02:25 AM   #2
Rich Z

Man, this sounds kind of similar....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYstgHDFBXg
Unread 03-22-2019, 02:33 AM   #3
Rich Z