The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > Florida Specific Forums > Legal Issues

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Legal Issues Traffic tickets | Laws | Pending Legislation

Unread 10-04-2007, 12:25 AM   #11
Suicide King

Name :
Suicide King is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
I think the real sticking point is that the difference in just 5 mph based on what an officer says and what the driver says can make such a substantial difference in the penalty. Can a pissed off cop who WANTS your vehicle stretch the truth and there will be NOTHING you can do about it? Hmmm....

Does Florida want to get the reputation of Louisiana? -> http://www.usmarshals.gov/district/l...ets/index.html

A website solely to auction off confiscated assets? A LE forfeiture style Ebay? Anyone else get an acrid taste in their mouth thinking about this? Maybe even hints of the USA national anthem being played in the background way off key?

I've heard a bunch of horror stories about that state and I REFUSE to drive through it.

Interestingly enough, there is a website dedicated to the forfeiture laws -> http://www.fear.org/
WOW!!! MINE, MINE MINE if they want it. It's getting scary out there and if you don't know the laws YOU'RE DONE.
Unread 10-04-2007, 10:07 AM   #12
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

There are some rather easy fixes to thwart the forfieture laws. The first is place the vehicle in the name of two(2) people (spouse for example) and make it "and" on the registration.

The othere is to keep a HUGE lien on it for more than the vehicles worth.

The state has to pay off the lien before the it can take the car (IIRC-I'd have to go back and review).

A race bike cop in Tampa? Where? I know most of the guys (trained many of them) and usuaaly keep up on this chit? Guess I missed one.

I can tellyou this though. Unless the departments are willing to spend the $$$$ for initial and remedial training it really requires to operate a crotch rocket as you describe at high speed (ie-Superbike School or such course), they're asking for more officers killed and injured

I trained until I retired from the HCSO. Was in charge of the west side unit and training as well.

Most of the guys we had riding, we're not all that dedicated to training, nor were they necessarily that good. They were great at low speed manuevers and dead stop actions, since thats mostly what you have to deal with in parades, and general traffic enforcement (tight turns, quick stops, adn low speed turns and reverses). But there just wasn't enough high speed training to make a difference.

The guys by an large, hated training days (to much like work- with thier ride on the line) and the dept. didsn't support them because it took us off the streets!

And there was really no cost involved in these.

Get guys out here chasing bikes on bikes and you're concocting a recipe for disaster

Add to that the "undercover profile" of a sport bike over a traditional bike and you're screwed.

FInally, as previously stated, theres absolutely no reason to be chasing anyone over a minor traffic offense, and speeding, regardless of how the state jacks it up, is still a MINOR TRAFFIC OFFENSE!!!

They're trying to make it more to justify the chases

Very bad idea

The DARE cars are usually drug vehicles, adn as far as I'm concerned that ok

But let them start snatching for speed and you'll see all kinds of chit out here on the street

BTW, if there's a sport bike out there, you can likely thank you're local bike dealer for the kind donation
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2007, 01:33 PM   #13
Suicide King

Name :

[quote=BTW, if there's a sport bike out there, you can likely thank you're local bike dealer for the kind donation[/QUOTE]

I bet you're right and I think that's a good thing too.
Unread 10-04-2007, 01:56 PM   #14
Suicide King

Name :

Hmmm, this is what a friend wrote me.

Just so you know there is one case on the books right now that involves a 2004 R1 used by someone other then the owner that the state police are trying to (continue to keep) keep........the case has been going on for 2 years....paperwork on the state side is 3-4 inches thick (no lie) ....basically their looking to twist a law that states if a vehical is used in the commision of a felony it can be seized.......in this case a Florida State Police Lt. is under oath lieing about the arrest details to win this case........currently it's a $6400 bike...that after sitting for 2 years will need $300-$500 in tires/fluids/injecters cleaned........with auction fees they may net $5800 after it's all said and done.

Now What does it cost the tax payers to support 1 mva attorney, states attorney to 2 years when their document file is 3-4 inches thick........2 Judges.........the cost of 6 jurors.........fees of court dictation..........storage and impound..........court paperwork and fileing.........bringing in 4 officers to testify over a 2 day period.........a adversarial preliminary hearing.........4 1/2 hour of interrogatories.........a denied motion of summary judgement..........and I'm sure there are many other hours invested by other departments..........not to mention food on the plate of the lieing Lt. who took an oath to uphold the law.

All at the tax payers and the owners (not driver) expense, which I'm sure is worth more then the bikes current $5800 value.