The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Maintenance, Mods, & Tips

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Maintenance, Mods, & Tips Mods | Tips | Repairs & Troubleshooting

Unread 05-11-2009, 03:04 PM   #1
chris308
spam sniper

Name : Chris Huff
chris308 is on a distinguished road
Default AC problem

Ok, i have had an issue with my AC, first it wasnt blowing cold air out of the first 2 settings so i replaced the blower motor circuit board thing under the dash. Worked again for awhile.

Then it stopped blowing cold again, but all settings blow air, so i figured it needed freon. I waited to do anything cuz i dont use the air much anyways but now its getting hotter out.

I tried using it today while sitting in a parking lot and when i left the spot i noticed there was no water on the ground i guess that's from condensation. So i'm guessing i have a bigger issue with the system and not just freon??
Unread 05-11-2009, 03:58 PM   #2
gmjunkie
Corvette,GM Classic Freak

Name : I'm Not Post'n in BOI
gmjunkie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris308 View Post
Ok, i have had an issue with my AC, first it wasnt blowing cold air out of the first 2 settings so i replaced the blower motor circuit board thing under the dash. Worked again for awhile.

Then it stopped blowing cold again, but all settings blow air, so i figured it needed freon. I waited to do anything cuz i dont use the air much anyways but now its getting hotter out.

I tried using it today while sitting in a parking lot and when i left the spot i noticed there was no water on the ground i guess that's from condensation. So i'm guessing i have a bigger issue with the system and not just freon??
Pull the codes and lets see what we have!!
Wright them down and post them!

How to Pull Codes on C5!
1. Turn your key to the "ON" position, but do not start the engine.
2. Clear any present messages by pressing the RESET button.
3. Hold the OPTIONS button down, and press the FUEL button 4 times. (This will get you into the "codes" section of the DIC.
4. The computer will automatically display all the codes your car has created. It will cycle through each code every 3 seconds. (Have a pen and paper handy to write down the codes)

Note: Any code that ends in an "H" is a history code (something that has occurred in the past, but is not reporting as an error currently.)

Unread 05-11-2009, 04:41 PM   #3
chris308
spam sniper

Thanks for the reply!

Heres my codes:

BCM -
B2578H
B2583H

SDM -
B1001H

BQ - RFA -
U1096H
U1064H
U1016H
C2100HC
C2115H
Unread 05-11-2009, 06:10 PM   #4
gmjunkie

Quote:
Thanks for the reply!

Heres my codes:

BCM -
B2578H
B2583H

SDM -
B1001H

BQ - RFA -
U1096H
U1064H
U1016H
C2100HC
C2115H
There wasn't any HVAC codes??
What year is it?? I'm looking for service bulletins!!
The only thing that the list posted has current is the left front tire monitor is malfunctioning!! There is some history of Loss of communication with PCM and BCM!!
Unread 05-11-2009, 07:25 PM   #5
chris308
spam sniper

it's a 99

those are the only codes that popped up...

yea i have a tps going out
Unread 05-11-2009, 07:44 PM   #6
gmjunkie

Quote:
it's a 99

those are the only codes that popped up...

yea i have a tps going out
This is the only service bulletin I can find on your car as far as the AC not responding!!

Document ID# 1299761
1999 Chevrolet/Geo Corvette

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HVAC Controls Intermittently Inoperative or Improperly Responding (Reset HVAC Controller) #03-01-39-004 - (Apr 14, 2003)
HVAC Controls Intermittently Inoperative or Improperly Responding (Reset HVAC Controller)
1997-2003 Chevrolet Corvette

Condition
Some customers may comment that the HVAC controller may have become intermittently inoperative or erratic in operation. In most all cases, the HVAC controller will function normally when the vehicle is examined by the technician. Additional comments may include a variance in the air temperature from driver to passenger side air vents.

Cause
The customer may be turning the temperature knob from warm to cool or from cool to warm very rapidly. Under certain conditions, if the temperature knob is rotated very quickly, it may exceed the ability of the HVAC controller to interpret the desired action.

Correction
Cycling the key to the off position will power off the HVAC controller and reset it, restoring normal function to the HVAC system on the next vehicle start. Instruct the customer that this is a normal function of the unit and that no repairs are necessary.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Heres some things you may want to check!!

Document ID# 376618
1999 Chevrolet/Geo Corvette

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Intermittents and Poor Connections
Intermittent failures in electronic systems may be very difficult to detect and accurately diagnose. For this reason, a thorough test drive is often needed in order to repeat a fault condition. If the system malfunction is not repeated during the test drive, a good description of the complaint may be useful in locating an intermittent malfunction. Faulty wires or connections cause most intermittent problems. When an intermittent condition is suspected, inspect the suspected circuits for the following conditions:

Poor mating of connector halves of backed out terminals
Improperly formed or damaged terminals
Wire chafing
Poor wire to terminal connections
Dirty or corroded terminals
Connector body damage
History DTCs are those indicating that the HVAC Control Assembly has previously detected a malfunction. The reason could be either that the malfunction is intermittent or that the system for which the DTC is set for is not currently being operated. History DTCs help in diagnosing intermittent fault conditions but do not necessarily indicate a faulty HVAC Control Assembly. The HVAC Control Head is a reliable component, and is not the likely cause of the malfunction. Most system complaints are linked to faulty wiring and connectors, and occasionally to a component. Perform a thorough inspection of all related wiring and connectors pertaining to the history DTC that is stored.

The following conditions may result in intermittent HVAC Control Assembly operation with no DTC stored:

Any condition which results in the interruption of power to the HVAC Control Assembly.
The battery or ignition voltage is out of range (below 9.0 volts or above 16.0 volts).
A loose or damaged ground.
An open or a short on the serial data line.

Unread 05-11-2009, 08:15 PM   #7
chris308
spam sniper

thanks for the help junk,

yea i dont know what the deal is. The air works just doesn't blow cold, and no condensation drips on the ground.
Unread 05-12-2009, 12:23 PM   #8
gmjunkie

Quote:
thanks for the help junk,

yea i dont know what the deal is. The air works just doesn't blow cold, and no condensation drips on the ground.
I'd start with checking All the ground lugs under the Hood!!
There will be 1 Gang ground plug under each hood henge on the frame!!Take these apart and Clean them Good!! Remove the nut and remove the Male end off the frame and clean the Ground stud also!!Under the battery tray there will be 2-4 grounds there too!! Clean them good also!!(You will have to remove the plastic Battery heat shield to get to them,There under it on the frame!!) There are also grounds on the drivers side frame rail in about the same location and 1 behind the drivers side kick panel!!

Good Luck!!

PS. Also check All pins on fuses and relays in power distribution center under hood and under the passenger floor panel!!

Unread 06-16-2009, 06:57 PM   #9
chris308
spam sniper

Update:

I checked again and noticed that the air blowing on the passenger side is cool and the air on the driver side is warm.

Unread 06-18-2009, 07:58 AM   #10
JRS_C5

Name :
JRS_C5 is on a distinguished road

Hey Chris, maybe you can try this. Mine has been doing the same thing intermittently.

http://vette.tnreeds.com/actuator/actuator.htm

-98' Torch Red C5 Coupe

-03' SRT-4 (SOLD)
-94' 3000GT- (SOLD)
JRS_C5 is offline   Reply With Quote